1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air compressor hose....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Aug 17, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am looking to buy a new hose but wasnt aware of the different size diameters. What is the difference?? Will be used for air gun, tire fill, etc. They have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". These are all inside diameters. Thanks
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Depends on your fittings,But 3/8 or 1/2 are the most common.
    1/4 does not give you enough air flow in some cases.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thanks. Would the different sizes depend on type/size of compressor??? I would imagine a 1" line would keep a smaller compressor on longer.
  4. the 1/2" ID might be needed for a trunk line to use more than 2 tools at a time.

Anything bigger would be for jack hammers etc. They take a huge compressor.

3/8" is most common. The 1/4" is for small tools like die grinders.

Most of the quick connect couplers are 1/4" ID.
    You may need the kind which are 3/8" ID if you have a big 3/4" drive air impact hammer like the kind they use on semi's.

The cheap poly hoses don't last very long. The better kind are the black rubber ones from Goodyear. The best are the red rubber ones from Goodyear.

Don't forget the filter-regulator-lubricator. It should be located near the point of use if you're lubricating an air tool with the lubricator.

Harbor Freight Tools is a pretty good source for air tool supplies.

There's probably lots more I've forgot to mention.