Air compressor / muffler box?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nt1, Nov 24, 2005.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever built or bought an insulated box to reduce the sound of a portable air compressor?

I have an oil-less pancake style compressor that is very noisey. I would like to enclose this to make it quieter.

I think that it would need to be vented on 1 or 2 sides to keep the compressor from overheating.

Unsure if this thread is posted in the right area but this compressor is used for maintaining equipment.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just cover it with a few heavy weight moving blankets.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The only way I would enclose it is to install a small fan on one side and have a vent on the other side. These little oil-less compressors get much hotter than the larger oil type. I have a 80gal oil type I installed on the outside of the back wall of my shop and just put a roof over it so it wouldn't be so loud and ran pipes inside.
    Jusy my 0.2

4. Restrorob

That could be a potential fire with the heat these things build up, Have you ever tried to touch one after it ran long enough to build up pressure ?

5. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies

You are right about these little compressors getting hot.

The fan is a good idea RESTROROB. Thank you.

6. Restrorob

No Problem :)

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Gives a person a good understanding on how a Diesel Engine runs , Air compressors get very very warm , I would not go tossing blankets over it , Number one great way to start a fire , number 2 great way to end the life of the compressor by overheating it