air compressor question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kalyeah, Dec 1, 2004.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Thinking about getting an impact wrench. Not sure what type I'm gonna get yet. If I decide to go with the air what type air compressor would you suggest. Mostly interested in the minimum size needed.
  2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

pick the one/size that your impact wrenches would recommend!
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When looking at air tools in a catalog in the description it tells the amount of cfms required to run the tool.The same is true when looking at compressors, they give specs on them like6.0 cfm at 90 psi.Here is an Example . A CP air wrench model cp746 needs 4 cfm to get the advertised torgue of 450 ft pounds of torque.The same book Im looking at has a 6 hp compressor with a 33 gallon tank that the compressor puts out 6.o cfm @ 90 psi. That compressor should run the wrench very nicely, hope I explained it good enuff or some one else may be able to do it better
  4. green_man

green_man LawnSite Member
    from nj

to run an impact wrench I wouldn't want much less than 30 gal, otherwise you'll have the pump running an awful lot. oil filled compressor pumps are a little more maintenance and I think more money than airless but are quieter and probably last longer. airless do seem to be most popular now. unless you need mobility get an electric rather than a gas engine compressor, and make sure your wiring can handle the motor's electrical requirements.

btw as far as impact wrenches go, a 3/8" butterfly is really handy and does 90% of what I need.
  5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

IR makes a nice 1/2 inch impact(2131) for about 179.99. I have had mine for 4 years with no problems. Be shure to get a belt drive compressor, with a cast iron pump. You do not want the direct drive oil less junk that sears sells. They do not last and they are loud. I have a IR 26 gal. verticle belt drive and it is rated at 100% continious duty. I think that Home Depot still carries them.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You will want a 25 gallon at the smallest and don't get a oiless compressor becuse where I work we have a 60 gallon Craftsman oiless with a twin cylinder pump that about 6 years old and we've already had to rebuild the pump becuase one of the rods broke. Not to mention its so loud we have to run out of the shop when it kicks on because we can't stand the noise. Its that loud.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the size of the compresser really depends on how often use it and how much at a time. i mean if you hgave few mowers to take the blades off i wouldnt get more than 33 gal . i bought a craftsman with the impact , rachet and air hammer for 299.00 with 50 ft of hose . imo just dont go over board if you dont need it . i can change the blades on 3 of my mowers with out the motor kicking on .
  8. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Buy the biggest most CFM's, largest storage tank you can afford! You don't know what the future holds. If you buy just a marginal compressor, I promise you, you will be disappointed.
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You need to first decide whether portability is an essential feature. For me it was, so that ruled out anything larger than about 4-6 gallons.

Porter-Cable makes a very nice 4 gal unit, a twin tank style, that will run on a 15 amp circuit and puts out 6 CFM @ 90 PSI. Very high output for the size and price range. They are portable and cost about $250. It will run just about any impact gun with no problem. Sure, the pump may run more often, but who really cares? It's not like you are trying to power a commerical garage with it.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I've have a 30 gal piece of SEARS JUNK as described above for about 10 years now with no problems. and it is quite loud but so is my lawn mower and blower.

if you aren't gonna use more air tools than a impact wrench, why not just buy electric or battery powered.