1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air Compressor Service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Sep 14, 2011.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I usually change the fluids and filters myself but this year I took it in for service.
    I'm not comfortable changing the air/oil separator filter so I had them do a complete engine and compressor service. They also replaced some fuel lines and repacked the wheel bearings. I was expecting a pretty hefty bill but not 1500.00. This is an IR 175 with a Deutz engine.

How much do you guys spend a year on compressor service?
  2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

One of the main reasons I rent rather than own is that I don't want to be doing that type of maintenance for an item I only use for a few weeks/year. That price sounds pretty excessive; I hope you put a lot of hours on it over the course of a year...
  3. irritation

I put about 300 hrs a year on it and usually only change fluid and filters every other year. It cost me about 200.00 to do that myself but I never changed the air/oil separator filter. I hated renting and last time I did it was about 2,500.00 for the season.
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

300 hrs/year is pretty respectable usage. If I was running a compressor that much, I'd own it too :)

Hope you make the maintenance cost back during the blow out season
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I usualy spend about $450 between preseason and a stop or to at the shop during blowouts. Same unit only a 150. Then I rent a 2nd one for $850 for 2 months.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mine 185 is in for service right now, and they quoted about $750. But I can't say what all the services were they wanted to take care of. I just had him do some work to the compressor, and not the engine. About $250 worth. The machine runs like a top anyway. Haven't had it serviced since 2008.
  7. irritation

That's what I don't want. Downtime is big money and headaches.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah this one had a wiring issue that would make it stall under load when warm. Took a while to figure it out but hoping its good now. Im lucky that I have a local wrench who will stop what he,s doing to keep me running.
  9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Our's has had issue after issue over the past few years.. I think my boss is averagely spending 1k a year for repairs and service on it. We also rent 4 others
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I own 4 Ingersol rands 3 100 cfms and a 125 cfm all are deutz engines , I do all my own work , havent had to change the air/oil filter . But I have one thats down right now , when its hot it blows oil out the discharge . Also have a old radial compressor with a 4 cyl wisconsin 90 cfm , it runs great but it sucks the fuel , its a back up .