1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Chubster, Apr 25, 2006.

1. The Chubster

The Chubster LawnSite Member

What do I want to look for in a air compressor...
    What is the most important for taking off blades on a Turf Tiger.
  2. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

The more CFMs the better!!!
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have a 5 horse, 30 gal that runs an impact wrench very nicely.

GEO :)
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

high CFMs is what you need to look for, impact wrenches take a lot of air to run.
  5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

You can run an impact wrench on a moderately sized compressor. Die grinders take MUCH more CFM's to run than impacts do. CFM's are definetly the thing to look for. And make sure your looking at CMF @ 90psi for apples to apples comparo's.

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

No less then 90psi. Most all of you air tools or designed to operate on 90psi. Get one that has a pressure regulator so you can turn it down or crank it up depending on what the tool and the task is.
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the specs for the impact wrench you intend to use, then go from there. If that's all you're going to do with it, I'd just use a pair of wrenches.
  8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Don't make the mistake I did, get an oil bath motor, not an oil-free electric like I did. Mine is so darn loud I can't wait for it to wear out so I can get oil bath compressor.
  9. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a ridgid twin stack from h.d. 4.9 scfms at 90 psi its oiless and not very loud . absolutley love it! $279
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You could simply use two socket wrench....I have done this for years on Scags/Wright/Snappers of all sizes and never had a problem. We change a lot of times on the edge of the trailer gate.