air compressor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Aug 19, 2008.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i am currently looking for a second compressor that is truck mounted. I currently use two 5.5 hp wheelbarrow type comp. linked together. It works good but I would like something a little better. My main comp is a IR185. I was looking at a 12.5 hp 30 gallon IR rated at 25cfm@175 psi and I figured at least 30cfm at lets say 75 psi. I wanted to know what everyone thought. I dont want to waste my money on something too small but don't want another tow-behind. Opinions?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you want to stand around waiting for your dweeb compressors
    to get it, fine. I don't have that that time, our 125 gets it & makes us money.

3. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Just my $0.0005 worth.

I bought a Kaeser M14 compressor (Ebay) rated at 50 CFM at 100psi. Haven't used it yet, this will be my first year with it. But it's something that will fit in the back of my PU and was affordable. Has plenty of "blow", so we'll find out.

Good Luck

4. Mike Leary

50 CFM is no blow, unless you've got time on your hands. :sleeping:

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm, at the risk of giving Peter ammunition, I would think 50cfm would do the majority of the 1" resi's out there. I wouldn't want to tie into two systems at once, but for a truck that "takes the out route", I would bet on it being very productive.

6. Mike Leary

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

::::yawn::::

8. Mike Leary

Pretty dull up here, too.

DSCN1128.jpg

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You can do it with a 25-50 cfm compressor, but it slows you down. I can do 2-8 zones at once with our 150 and 185 compressors hooked into a 1/2" hook up. 5-8 minutes top once hooked up.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You can get anything from a 90 to a 125 into the back of a truck. Ive even put 185,s in pickups after stripping off the fenders and axle.