Air Compressor??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4curbappeal, Mar 15, 2009.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for an air compressor for my shop(my small 2 car garage!) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
    I would like to use it to take off/put on blades as well as a few other small air tools. What size do I need? I would like to get one that is smaller, but will still handle a impact wrench. I also would like to get opinions on the ones that hang on the wall. Space is somewhat of an issue. Thank you!

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

craftsman did have one like mine on sale.

I like you have a small garage (mine is actually a one car at the moment) and needed a compressor that could handle air tools, but not take up to much room. I got a 33 gallon vertical (they have the same model in a horizontal if you like them better) and it has been great. Bought it last year with my refund, and i saw they had them on sale the other day.

It also came with a kit that had a half inch impact, 3/8 air ratchet, and an air chisel. Plus it came with 25 feet of hose. Its a great deal for around 250 or three hundred, dont remember exactly.

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 5 gallon air compressor that i use in my 2 car garage, and i've used it to service my mowers over the years and add air to car tires...and so on...

It handles the impact wrenches pretty well. I would suggest getting no less than a 5 gallon compressor.

The more the merrier!!!!

4. joshco84

If im not mistaken, this is what i purchased, and it was on sale for around 250 or 300 i believe. If your patient wait for it to go on sale again. Craftsman has sales a lot, so you might luck out.

5. joshco84

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That compressor should work just fine for what you need. It's probably loud though. I helped a friend wire a large compressor he bought at Sams club. A big single phase unit. It's in a 50x100 shop with no insulation. I figured it would be extremely loud but to my surprise it was very quiet! Heck, my little piece of junk compressor I have is WAY louder.

7. joshco84

Yes big compressors are actually quieter than those little ones.

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

mine is a 5hp witha 20 gallon tank. i think with the small 5 gallon tank it will alway be running and u would have to wait for it to catch up all the time.

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the one I've had for about 6 years. Works great and has been through many car mods, blade changes and full basement remodel and never hiccupped. While this will work fine, if I were doing it again i'd get one that has a belt driven (oil) motor for longevity. Mine doesn't and has worked fine but I'd suggest if you are going to be using it regularly spend a bit more and get one that is serviceable. Once the compressor motor goes in the self contained units its shot.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Northern Hydraulics might be a good place to check.
    Harbor Freight Tools also carries a selection.