1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Logangate, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Logangate

Logangate LawnSite Member

I want to get a gas air compressor to keep on my truck for flats and repair out in the field. What hp and cfm do I need to run an air wrench off of?
  2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

im gonna do the same thing
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There was a thread about this last week or so.
    You may find some helpful info in that one.

You'll find in that thread that a lot of guys just get a cordless impact wrench for blades and tire changes.

A compressor big enough to run an impact wrench is going to be BIG.

For air in tires, I just use a small, cheap 12v air compressor that plugs into lighter. It takes a while, but takes up very little space behind my seat.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

you might want to re-evaluate that idea. you are going to end up with a very large unit to carry around and i from what i can gather it just going to turn out to be a bigger pain that the 1 or 2 times that you actually going to need it.

I would just keep a little 12v inflator as the others suggested along with a jack. Chances are your not going to be getting that many truck flats to justify teh agrivation and cost of a gas air compressor.
  5. Logangate

Well it seems like I have a flat about twice a week and alot of the time the tire comes off the rim so it is a real PITA. I have already got a 24v makita impact but I want something more powerful and to have around the house also.
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Invest in zero-flat tires. Cheaper in the long run.
  7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

i have an extreme air compressor with a 4 gal. tank. I'm able to run an air gun to change tires on mowers, trailers and ford superduty trucks. i've also changed skidsteer tires, however they take awhile to crack the lugs. It is an all electric unit and is mounted under the framerail, out of the way. ran $300 to 400 with all the plumbing.

aw direct has a similar unit, which might be worth looking at. you can keep it in the shop at night and throw it on your truck/trailer during the day. again takes up little space, alot less than a gas powered unit, which will probably get stolen sooner or later, and should handle your needs.
  8. Logangate

I have tried Zero flat tires and have conclude they are a HUGE waste of money. They cost almost $100 a piece, and the things wear out in about 2-3 months. They also have the death wobble on the street. I was thinkin about gettin a $600 gas compressor w/ 8.2 cfm at 90psi. This should do the trick. I could prob chain it to the trailer. I also want this thing for the race track. I shouldnt have any problem w/ 8.2 cfm should I? I dont think it has alot of gallon capacity.
  9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a cheap refillable tank in the truck for flats. Has always done the job for me and only costs $20.
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

What about a less bulky pancake style electric compressor and an ac/dc inverter so you can run it off the truck's power? I assume full size tanks are overkill for changing tires and blades.