Air compressors for shop survey...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Oct 11, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I was wanting to get an air compressor for my garage. I don't know much about them so I'd like to hear what others use or have used.
    What do you like, what don't you like?.
    And about what did you pay?

I wanted something for blowing off equipment, blowing out filters, filling tires. Mostly small jobs. But who knows what I might need it for down the road?

Will one of those small "pancake" style units suffice?

Or what should I look for in HP, max PSI, and gallons?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old Craftsman 1hp 100psi, yep you read correctly 1hp which was given to me. It's good enough for blowing down equipment, filters and like you said small jobs. When I run my pnuematic(sp?) wrench that 1hp motor is constantly running to keep the psi's up to where it needs to be. Did I mention it was old?

I would get the biggest, at least 5hp w/180psi or higher you can so you can run just about any pnuematic tool out there. Around here that would run about $250-$300. I think most tools like wrenches, guns, etc. require 90psi.

3. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

the bigger the air tank seems to work real well too. I forget how bog mine is, it's about the size of an army duffel bag. If I use one of my smaller portable ones to run tools, the pressure fluctuates too much as the air becomes depleted, and refilled in the tank. Get the water seperator for the line, and air the tools every day.

I still love that cool noise an airgun makes...

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

This one's a great buy. I have the equivilent, but with a horizontal tank. The only problem is when rotating tires on my truck, I have to wait for it to build the pressure back up when installing the tires sometimes.

Randy

5. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

The small “pancake” style compressors are good for small pneumatic tools. Since you really do not know what you will use the compressor for do yourself a favor a get a unit that has 3-5 hp and something like 20 -35 gallon tank that you will not out grow.

An example to think about, say you get the pancake compressor now and it suits your needs for small project (filling tires, blowing out air filters… etc.) Now, if ever decide on using a pneumatic ratchet or impact wrench the smaller unit might not work. You will need a larger tank for these units.

I have a sears 6 ho with a 33 gallon tank. I run all my all my pneumatic tools with out a problem. Here is what I run:
    - brad/finish/framing nailer (woodworking stuff)
    - Impact wrench
    - Pneumatic ratchet
    - Pneumatic grinder
    - Pneumatic cut off tool\
    - Pneumatic sander
    - Tire inflator
    - Spray gun
    - Air nozzle

Pete

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I bought a Craftsman 6hp 30gal 150psi vertical air compressor. It cost around $270, and they now come with a kit. I am happy with the product, it runs all of the accessories I own very well.

Accessories:
    -200' of hose
    -heavy duty extension cord
    -tire inflator chuck (must have)
    -blow gun
    -impact wrench
    -air ratchet
    -finish nailer
    -stapler
    -palm nailer
    -caulk gun
    -sander

If all you are doing is inflating tires and blowing off equipment, you could probably get away with a smaller unit.

compressor.jpg

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought one just like oryan0 2 years ago think i got it on sale for around $230

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    Here's a dumb question, what does the "CFM" stand for?

My problem is I'm tight for space and kinda tight for money too. But I sure would like to have one of those larger vertical units.
    Oh well, maybe it's time to apply for that Sears credit card. LOL!

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: Here's a dumb question, what does the "CFM" stand for?

Cubic feet per minute

10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

RandyJ included a link right to the Sears sight. Look at the picture on the website, retails for $299.99

OryanO also replied and included a picture of his own setup. Looks to be the EXACT same item, just you can tell it was in a garage and has been used..

Both highly reccommended.

I'm also looking to get a compressor in the future....

Looks like a 6HP, 30 gallon vertical tank from Sears is where it's at. <G>

Thanks guys!
    Gary