1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air cooled vs water cooled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveVB, Apr 10, 2006.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

Is my dealer gaining anything in selling me a water cooled Toro versus the air cooled such as I have and have had no problems out of after 785hrs? Is resale better in that he will sell a water cooled machine easier after I trade it back to him next year? Just looking for a good reason to spend the extra $700.00 on something that I can't see helping me any, but you guys probably have more insight.
    Side note- is there such a thing as higher grade aluminum? such as in gutters and soffets on a house? In a demolition project going on next door, we were told we could get $1,000.00 per duplex for such things. True?? Thanks for your help. DaveVB
  2. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Water cooled last longer and performes better under extreme conditions. The resale is generally better than that of air cooled. I would recogmend it if you run your machines hard all day. A friend of mine has a Liquid cooled Turf Tiger and he claims the thing is a tank. No loss of performance when the goin gets tough.
  3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Water cooled will not last any longer, and it won't perform any better under tough conditions. Sorry, but that is a pile 'o crap.

Water cooled adds more parts and more things to go wrong. Now there is a water pump, a thermostat, a radiator, hoses, gaskets, coolant etc etc. You need room to mount the rad making the whole assembly bulkier. You now have to clean the dust and debris from the rad and its associated screens. No thanks.

In my opinion - simple air cooled engines for me. Blow them off with the blower at the end of each day and away you go.

My old Kohler 18hp air cooled is still running strong at well over 3000 hours.

An air cooled engine will outlast the machine if the oil is changed regularly and the filters are kept clean.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If water-cooled engines are "crap", why aren't automobiles and tractor/trailer engines air cooled?:usflag:
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you aren't keeping the mower for more than a year or two, then there is no reason to spend the extra money on a liquid cooled engine, IMO.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

good question:confused:
  7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

VW's were air cooled.
    Deutz-Allis makes large air cooled diesels for tractors.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan to keep a machine for 4 or 5 years I would say that it might pay to get a WC engine. In most cases the only big advantage to a WC engine is that the tolerences are tighter meaning that there's less mechanical noise. I had a 25 hp Kubota on a Grasshopper that was WC and it outlasted the mower but I have no experience with the Kohler or Kawi WC so I don't know how much or if they will last any longer than an AC engine.
  9. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

jtf40 and rodfather,

Read again, I did not say water cooled were crap. Not at all, I would never say that. Water cooled is great. I said that it was crap that water cooled would outlast and outperform air cooled. That, is crap!

10. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

don't the liquid cooled weight like 300 pounds more? I can't remember the exact amount.. but just weight until you get that sucker stuck.. be that much harder on 2-3 guys trying to pull the sucker out.