1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air Filter alternatives?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jun 29, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I just spent 24.00 on and airfilter and want to know if there are any alternative kits or foam sleeves that i can use to extend the life of my air filter.

Exmark LazerHP KAWASAKI MOTOR 23HP
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Click the Landscape Supply icon available at the top of every page here at Lawnsite. It's on the bottom row, second from the right. Kawi filters for under 10 bucks.
  3. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

K&N filters makes filters for mowers too. Try them at knfilters.com ,, I think thats their web address? They sell a filter for my Vanguard 18hp. Their filters are made out of cotton and are washable to be used virtually forever.
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I have washed the pleated paper element filters for several years. I wonder what the rest of you think of this:

First, with a hose from my compressor I blow the bulk of the dirt off the pleats. I try not to point the nozzle directly into the pleats because I don't want to force anything deeper into the material. Then I blow from the inside out, and keep doing this until there is not much visible dust coming from the filter. Then I drop the filter into a pan of gasoline and let it soak a few minutes. Usually I am doing a batch of filters at the same time, so they soak until I have used the air hose on enough filters to fill the pan. Then I take out the one that has soaked the longest, and again with the air hose, I blow from the inside of the filter (the carb side) blowing the gas/dissolved dirt out of the pleats. When I do this I rotate the filter so I am hitting every area more than once from several different angles. Then I just set it somewhere in the sun to dry. Usually I hang them along the top of my backyard chain link.

Finally, inspection. I definitely don't want to penetrate or tear any of the paper. Holding the filter up towards the sun, I rotate it so if there are any gaps I can see the sun shining through. I only recall ever having one filter get a hole.

The biggest thing to be concerned about is having a hole in the filter material, or a gap where the outer seal doesn't tightly fit against the air cleaner housing. If the seal material on the rim of filter is stiff, it is past time to pitch that filter. I probably never clean any filter more that 4 or 5 times before it gets retired.

One of the biggest factors in cylinder wall and ring wear is dirt going through the carb. I commonly have mower engines going past 1500 hours, and still not use any oil between 100 hour oil changes--Kohlers, Briggs Vanguards, and a Kawasaki liquid cooled currently at 600 hours.

Time needed would be about a half hour for 5 or 6 filters. My portable compressor will be blowing at 90 or 100 psi as I start, but quickly drops to about 50, and below that it is ineffective, so I do something else while it builds up pressure. I also wash foam pre-filters in gas, rather than soap and water as recommended: shake off the dirt, drop it in the pan, let it soak a minute, wring it out, dunk it again, wring it out, repeat until it looks clean, hang it up to dry, re-oil. I normally carry several clean pre-filters in the truck to change as needed. Under some conditions I have changed air filters 3 or 4 times a day.
  5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

K&N filters are not good for equipment applications because the filter media is too thin and it lets fine dust through the filter. The best filter is the factory paper element or a canister with prefilter.
  6. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good place for a canister type prefilter. I agree with using the pleated paper elements. You may look into Donaldson filters. I've had really good service from them
  7. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

A year ago i got a after market canister filter for my 23 kaw on a lesco ztr. I think it cost me like 300 with labor and the filters are actually cheep, better, and can go 100 hours at least w/o service. I use a trac vac in the fall and spring and it is the best investment yet in terms of service time saved.

I did not put it on my self because they had to change the jets in the carb but it was pretty simple to do other then that.

Hope this helps.

8. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member