Air filter/carburetor question...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allstar, Jun 5, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to learn how to service my equipment better and to become more knowledgeable.I would appreciate some help.
    A couple of days ago I used my Wright Sentar for the first time.The property I mowed was around 3 acres and very,very dry and dusty.We've had very little rain around here lately and the temps have been in the low to mid 90's.When I got finished with the job,the Sentar was running very sluggishly.The air filter was unbelievably dirty.I cleaned it as good as I could and the mower seems to be running OK now.
    Should I get a new air filter every time I mow in these conditions or is cleaning/vacuuming it good enough?Also,since the air filter was so dirty and, due to the fact that I probably mowed longer than I should have before cleaning the filter, should I take this a step further and do something to the carburetor as well?Thanks in advance. Jim

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a prefilter?

3. allstar

Don't know what that is,viper.I have whatever is standard for 48"Wright Sentar w/19 h.p. Kaw.I would assume there is a 'second line of defense' for dust and dirt that gets by the air filter,like the fuel filter.The reason I'm asking this question is because it was SOOO much dust when I used my mower the other day.Just trying to get a better understanding for maintaining my equipment.Thanks. Jim

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would look into a donaldson filter, do a search

5. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

A pre filter is a thin foam element that wraps around the main paper filter. The pre filter is supposed to be lightly oiled and is there to catch the nasty stuff first. Sounds like it was doing its job. If you dont have one of these your engine is not going to last very long. The paper filter cannot catch all the dirt. Thats why there is a pre filter. If the air filter was as dirty as you say I would not hesitate to replace it. A filter is WAY WAY WAY cheaper than an engine.

6. allstar

It definitely has a pre-filter.Also,I realize I need to replace it and the air filter.The mower still sounds a little rough,though and I was wondering if I needed to do something else like clean the carburetor,add some sort of 'gas treatment',etc. since some dirt and dust probably got into the engine.

7. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

i don't thing any thing got in to the engine if it did you will see it in the open under the air filter, pack one the walls going in to the carb it shelf, here is what i do for my customer one gallon freezer bag put 2 - 4 tea spoon oil in bag 3 pre filters they are now per oil ready to changed out, take the dirty one off, wash hang out to dry, put one on form bag and go.

dirt enter the engine most of the time from either air filter or fuel tank

8. allstar

Thanks for the help,Chuck.