air filter cost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdaddy, Jul 20, 2003.

1. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

bought air filter yesterday for 27l/c--41.45 +2.84 for pre element.I Had to have it.I haven't been able to find any, in any of my catalogs,jthomas,mow more, landscapers supply or even chiltons.Help me out guys.:( ;)

2. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

www.Filter1.com... they sell wix filters and have every filter under the sun. Was the element you bought for a donaldson air cleaner? I know they carry filters for everything, that is where I buy all my stuff; generally $500 worth at a time. I know that Kohler oil filters are like 3 something a piece including shipping. All prices include shipping and they ship fast. you have to register your company and so on to get a discounted price but it's worth it.
    Like I said I buy everything from there. Air cleaners, oil filters, fuel filters, hydraulic filters. In the spring I order for the entire year and then I always have what I need in stock

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been appalled for years at the price insanity of a little Kawasaki 25 air filter (usually $20 +) versus 3.99 or so for aftermarket Kohler 25 filters.

It sucks to have to pay $25 for an air filter justifiable only because it is cheaper than a new engine.

And the customers wonder why grass cutting isn't free!?!!!:dizzy:

Ken

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

this may be a dumb question, but how often do you change your air filter? do you put oil on the foam part that goes over the filter? if so, why?

5. None of the filter-gages I’ve seen work. Whenever I hear my engine's rpms getting irregular at idle speed, its time to change filters. When you throttle up or engage the blades (not under load) and the engine starts to cut out, then it’s past time to change your air filter.

On engines with a pre-filter, I spray a light coating of lubricating oil on the pre-filter element to help catch dust. I know some manufacturers say not to do that. But I’ll have extra pre-filters and change them throughout the day if needed.

I wasn't able to get to that link ...

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

prefilters changed twice a week. Paper element when needed.

Oiling the prefilter is a must to catch dust before it gets to the paper element. Will also save some $ on the paper element. I have a bag full of cleaned and oiled prefilters setup for the week. End of the week we have a bag of dirty ones. They get cleaned and oiled once a week.

7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

On the Kawasaki on the Lazer (25 Air cooled) I finally took and cut the top off the kawasaki filter and used it as a holder / top into a standard Kohler filter, extended the screw a bit and viola, I am filtering with a Standard Kohler filter that if I screw up and run out, I can run down to the farm store and pick one up.

I use a product called No-Toil oil on my Air filters, Motorcycles and prefilters for the mowers. Cleans up easy, non Haz and very, very very sticky. This is available through Motorcycle outlets / shops. You have to use their soap on their oil though.

It seems that I am forever behind on cleaning these things, try and clean prefilters once a week, new elements every couple of weeks to a month.

Al Bechard