Air Filter is filthy on Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NNJLandman, Jun 5, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

12.5 Kohler is sucking in a lot of dirt, I put a new air filter in the mower about a week ago and the thing is already filthy. So I took it out and have yet to purchase a new one, jus been running it without it and i looked inside and its still filthy, bought the new air filter today but is there anything I can do to prevent all this crap from getting in there, it ends up clogging up the carb as well.

Jeff

2. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

If there is dirt clogging up the carburetor, that means it is getting past the air cleaner. If you aren't familiar with what dirt ingestion does to an engine, you will find out. If I were you I would stop this ASAP.

Where does the air box take air from?
    Do you have a precleaner?

Make sure you are not blowing out the air cleaner. You may tap it to remove the larger particles from the filter. Make sure the filter is reinstalled correctly.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Running it without the air cleaner will create major premature engine damage.After running it without the air filter, I'm surprised the carb hasn't become dirty and plugged up and the engine will start up.Put on a precleaner, check for damage on the air cleaner housing.Let a dealer technician look at it.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check the breather tube

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Thats their job trapping dirt, and keeping it out of your engine.You can and will trash an engine in short order running without a filter,