Air Filter Maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bs111, May 2, 2006.

1. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

I found this site last year when I was looking to buy a rider. after much research, I ended up getting a crapsman w/24HP B&S OHV.....

I know this question may sound really really dumb....

When I went to change my air filter, there is a screen with foam attached to it the you place under the air filter itself. the manual say to "Clean the foam m, removing any solid objects and wash in light detergent and dry. Then is says to "add oil to it and replace".

Why would you wan to add clean oil to the air filter screen at all????

Does my question make sense? I do not have the manual in front of me, but can get it word for word on here if necessary.

Also....are "platinum spark plugs" that much better, even if your replacing both of them each year?

Brian

Brian

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

dirt will stick to the oil on that filter. just use a little bit of oil, and wring it through good, dont want too much oil, just so its on all surfaces. dont know about platinum plugs, never used em.
    you've probably heard of K&N air filters, all the race car guys use them? they use oil on the filter. if it isnt oiled, its like using no filter at all.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Wring it out in a paper towel to get the excess oil out. Also, if the paper pleated filter you have is one of the ones that says "washable" on it, make sure you let it dry for about a day in the hot sun after you wash it out.

4. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

What I basically did was take the filter new, out of the box and replaced it under the airfilter.......I didn't add any oil to it at all. I guess what I don't understand is WHY you would want to add something to the air filter at all?;)

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Because the oil traps dirt that might get throught the filter that's why.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Traps fine dust like dirt. Maybe that is what he is not understanding. Or maybe he's like trying to push a bowling ball through a golf ball sized hole.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

;) :laugh: :laugh:

8. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

if i may add something from my own experience...i know its easy to over oil an air filter. i started using Partner air filter oil, get it at any Partner saw dealer. kept a quart or so in a coffee can. you could just dunk the whole filter in it, then wring it out over the can. once it was free of any liquid oil, its was properly oiled. it was quite different from motor oil, and even some bonehead concrete contractors oiled their filters properly. just my 2 cents.