Air Filter wraps?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Technologies, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Just wondering how some of you clean the wraps on your air filters? Gas, or soapy water? Or maybe a diffrent way?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I vac them first then blow them out then wash in soapy water. Let them dry and put a thin coat of oil on it.

3. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Ditto, vac, soap and water, let them dry overnight, light oil in the morn.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

that's the standard method...

I throw mine in the washing machine with my lawn clothes lol (it works good) but watch it before you throw stuff in the dryer, pick out your pre-cleaners and let them air dry - it's better for them but if you accidentally throw one in the dryer it is ok.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Soapy water and then oil. Squeeze any excess oil of the foam. The air drying is not needed because the oil will push any water left in the foam out.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your nearest Home Cheapo and find the duct work section. There you should find 1/4 in or 1/2 in thick foam furnace filter material in large sheets. Take one home and lay one of your foam wraps on it to measure and cut it with a pair of sissors. You can either staple or glue the ends together and "presto" you have a NEW foam wrap that costs pennies instead of dollars. Instead of cleaning the next dirty one just oil up a new one from now on.

7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Soap & water, squeeze dry. I oil it while still damp, then run it. Only takes a minute or two of running to dry it out.