Air Filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, May 5, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in GA we haven't had rain in a while so my lawns without irrigation are really suffering for water.

When I mow them it is so dusty that I have to wear a mask over my face to be able to breath good. My mower is having trouble breathing also. My Z only has about 15 hours on it and it looks like I'm about to change my air filter for the 2nd time. The manual says that to change like every 40 hours, more often in dusty conditions but I'm on my second filter in 15 hours.

How often are you guys/gals changing these air filters especially in dusty conditions?

Thanks

2. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Clean daily and replace monthly. I use foam filter spray for the foam unit if you have one,works great.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are changing to quickly, it actually filters better after it gets the first coat of dust over the element. My filter is on top and my book says every 100 hrs. is sufficient except in extremely dusty conditions, then every 50 hrs. I run so fast in open areas the dust can't keep up, every filter location and condition can be different. The more dusty in small cutting areas the more problems.

4. hess

hess LawnSite Member

don't use compress air you my blow a pin hole in it and you can't see it and dirt will get in the carb and you won't even know it! I clean mine weekly and changed it every 3 oil changes

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

dude.. use oil on your prefilter.. lots of it! then wash and re-oil it everyday in dusty conditions like that. your engine will thank you.

if you oil the prefilter well everyday, the paper element can go for 50-100 hours.

in very dusty conditions the oil should be changed more often as well.