AIR HAMMER --need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That HF gun is pure junk..... There's two of them thrown around the shop, Every time one of the guy's try to remove something they end up asking for mine.

Besides...... Ed maintains a whole fleet of equipment not removing a set of blades once a week like most, So if he's gonna buy a gun it may as well be a REAL one......
  2. Restrorob

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The HF tools are copies of the good stuff...not very good copies...
    The problem with low power in air tools is related to how easily the vanes fall out of the rotor..
    If you take the rotor out of 1 of those junk impacts...lightly sand the vanes so that they easily fall out of the will hit again....
    Something I picked up when I was a bench tech for Fla. Pnuematic ...back before the war.
  4. Restrorob

Who..... Meee ??? :nono:

I'll round um up and give em to one of the guys to rip apart, Most that can happen is they get thrown in the dumpster where they belong !!!
  5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Ed, I still haven't determined if you're looking at an air hammer or an impact--which is it? Since you change blades frequently, I'm assuming you have an impact-------but since you're looking to remove a flywheel, are you looking at an air hammer?
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one of these thinking I could use it to remove a flywheel after I get the bolt out. It was no help or I didn't know how to use it

I already got one of these and happy with it. I don't see how to use it as an air hammer.:dizzy:

Where am I going wrong?

Didn't notice that price wow!

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

8. Restrorob

I've got the hammer head like Dutch linked, But..... I've never used it to remove a flywheel. I'd be afraid of cracking/breaking loose the magnets (shock), And Kohler flywheels are the worst for pop'n magnets loose.....
  9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

An air hammer??? To knock off a flywheel ???? I ain't never.........
  10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Ed, below you will find 2 links, one to a YouTube

It kinda covers what you can do with a air hammer and a pry bar.

The other link goes to Stump the tech that Slapper started. In the pics there, number 5 is what
    Slapper made to keep his hammer in place with the pointy bit. It's great for shafts that don't have bolts in them.
    I used mine (With Slappers idea) like that to remove a clutch, bearing and coller from the rusted shaft on the
    Salt Dog gear box I had posted about a few months back. It came apart really nice and saved me alot of Aggravation.

Also, depending on what I'm doing, I have a few old 3/8 cheap deep sockets I use to cover a bolt, while using the pointy bit.
    FYI, You will ruin the square end of the sockets if you do use a socket.......

Hope this helps.....