AIR HAMMER --need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Dec 1, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The key is to get all the crud out of the rotor and lightly sand all the vanes removing all the sharp edges..make sure the rotor is dry and the vanes don't even think about sticking..
    Don't oil the tool until after it is assembled..
    Be careful...you can double the torque on an air ratchet with this procedure...
    I have a 3/8 bluepoint air ratchet that hits like an impact...if you didn't know about it...it would bust your knuckles and small bolts before you had a chance to throw it at me...

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of good information I will go look at stuff in stump thread. I guess I was not thinking very clearly. I was think miniature jack hammer but I understand about knocking off magnets. This is what the dealer uses:

20131203_151840.jpg

20131203_151821.jpg

I am not going this way, costly and with little experience could damage something. I remember someone suggested holding the engine upside down and wacking the loosened bolt in flywheel.

20131203_151840.jpg

20131203_151821.jpg

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah......come to think of it..... I saw that very method used on you-tube!
    Worked like a charm!!!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Guys...... Ya don't have to remove the engine and hold up side down...... All's ya gotta do is loosen the flywheel bolt/nut, Jack the machine up and put the proper size socket on the PTO end bolt, Smack it with a BFH and the flywheel WILL pop loose every time !!!

Been do'n it fer years......

Restro Tip #BR549-21

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That is the best air hammer on the market. In don't work on small engines, but the brass probably keeps from damaging anything or magnets falling out
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BigFish

He said facetiously...

I gotta tell ya... only a cave man would use an air hammer to remove a flywheel...period!!!

In all the years I been wrenchin'.....never!

7. Restrorob

With some of the stupid chit I've seen on U-tube...... I had no reason to doubt you Fish...... :laugh:

8. BigFish

Well, I did leave out the part about where they hung it upside-down using dyneema starter cord!!

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well it worked just like you said. All I needed was my top of the line BFH from Harbor Freight.:clapping:

20131205_152615.jpg

20131205_152450.jpg

10. Restrorob

Ed..... I don't normally give bad info...... :nono:

I learned this trick years ago removing a rotor from a generator engine (tapper shaft), Put a socket on the flywheel nut/bolt and smack it..... Course I'd never do it on a Kohler powered generator......