1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

air hose vs. chemical hose

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnbridge, Feb 5, 2007.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

Just wondering, new to the business and have heard the using an air hose work just as well as a chemical hose with much less cost. Can you guys give any advice?
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I wouldnt chance it! can you even get air hose in 300 ft length? you need a 600 psi chemical resistant hose. go to westhefer.com and you can get spray hose for .65 cents a ft and it will last for years.
  3. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

i dont know if its an air hose but the yellow hose from lesco is heavy it can get to you by end of the day when doing big places...we have the other color which is half the size way easier to move and work with which i think it way better
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I swear, that Yellow Lesco hose can get real heavy when you have to use all 300 ft. If there is a lighter hose that lasts as long, someone tell me where to get it! I am only 175-180lbs and I am at like a 45% angle when dragging 300ft.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if your using 1/2 in switch to 3/8, you wont believe how much easier it is to pull around.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think some use a flexable PVC type hose thats a little smaller in dia. and a whole lot lighter. it's NOT as flexable though and maybe there's other problems with it, i don't know. Iv'e just seen it sold for spray rigs, never seen it used that I know of. Stuff i'm thinking of is sorta translucent, not the bright solid yellow color...

Here's a site I ran across with a HUGE selection of turf spray hoses: http://www.turfeagle.com/products/sprayhose.html
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the link, 3/8 ID X 300 ft @600psi for $179, not a bad deal at all.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would definitely NOT use an air hose to save a few. You don't know what the chemicals will do to that hose. It would really suck to have one go on you and spray pesticides all over the place (on you, the customers' house, dog, shrubs...)
    I love hearing all of the ways people try and save a buck.
    If you buy cheap shoes, you get sore feet. Buy cheap mowers, they break down. Buy a cheap truck and it breaks too. Always try and find the best deal, but don't buy something just because it's the cheapest.