1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Air quality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay warner, May 4, 2002.

1. jay warner

jay warner LawnSite Member
    from sc

I did a search and didn't get results. My question concerns air quality. I read an OSHA study the other day about dust on large construction sites being the most dangerous problem existing. That made me wonder about our industry. I now wear a dust mask when conditions are dry, but in my earlier days I thought less of health and more of appearance. I know there is a lot of particulate matter in the air when we cut. To get to the point, are there any studies on this in the green inustry and does this concern any of you guys? Also have any of you guy's ever had respiratory problems from cutting?
  2. I use them most of the time. Dethatching, vacuuming, leaf clean up, mowing when it's dry. Wouldn't be able to breath by the end of the day if I didn't.
  3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

You're a smart man Jay. Sometimes when I'm mowing a dustbowl, I think of it. I just can't make myself wear one. Especially when it's so hot.
    Bill Craig!
  4. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

I wear one when its dry or de-thatching. Get one with the one way exhallation valve. Its only a little more expensive than the disposable cheapies and you can breathe MUCH better.