Airborne weed seeds land on Walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Katwalk, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Katwalk

Katwalk LawnSite Member

Sometimes I wonder how some of these people actually make it in this world. Walkway and patio installed in spring. Everything around the yard is a sh** mess of weeds. No lawn and no plantings. They are all wound up that they have weeds in the patio and walk and claim that It is because I "didn't compact the base properly." I explained that I am an ICPI certified installer, we use a sufficient amount of base material and compacted with a 4500lb/ft compactor and that the problem has nothing to do with compaction. I explained about weed seeds being airborne and that whether or not we used sand or stone dust that they would have weeds......My question is do any of you have a suggestion or info. about where to find legit scientific about airborne weed seeds? I believe we here understand and deal with the problem with round up, but these crazy people think they are going to have a major problem with their hardscape down the road. Any info would be appreciated .Thanks

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Grass clippings blown onto the walk with seed heads do not need much to germinate.

mabe you could have put Triox a soil sterilant down on the base.

You should be careful and read the label,but I think you could kill what is on the walk and remove it then apply the Triox.

3. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Props to you for taking the ICPI Basic Contractor Certification Class.

You are 100% correct about the weed, grass and other stuff germinating in the jointing sand, it comes from the top. They can either Round It Up or use another chemical to kill them off.
    As an installer, I would go back pull all the green stuff, and then install a joint stabilizing sealer. The sealer will stabilize the sand in the joints making it very hard. No more weed growth, ants or sand erosion. It may cost you out-of-pocket, however, it is a goodwill gesture, which may generate you more business.

As a side bar: In our pricing sealer is included in every job and 95% of the projects receive it.

We use this brand.

http://www.surebond.com/

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.Com