Alabama certification

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NickN, Aug 5, 2003.

1. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Posted this in the "New to the Business" section with little success.Reposting here in case someone has ANY idea how to get certified in Alabama.I've contacted the state Ag department and have not heard back.

<i>I thought I had found a small business doing that which I enjoy while hopefully employing some locals in the next couple of years.Go to get my business license and was told that in order to run a (legit) landscaping business in Alabama I have to be certified by the state board.
    Trying to comply with state laws,I now need to know how to go about this.All the folks at the municipal building told me was that in order to plant trees,I had to be certified,So,how does a newbie go about getting this?I surely don't want to work illegally and should have checked on this beforehand. I have a full time job already,but was wanting to start my own business.
    Any help from those in Alabama that have already been through this is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    NickN</i>

2. NickN

from Alabama

I found more information regarding landscape construction.
    See this link,page 48 and 49.
    http://www2.dir.state.al.us/Licensed Occupations Guide 2002.pdf

Apparantly,if you draw out a landscape design(even with crayon) you need a separate certification.(Landscape Designer)
    In order to plant ANYTHING,you have to pass a written exam also.(Landscape Planter)According to the law,ANYONE who plants must be state certified(pass an exam).This mean that YOUR WORKERS must be state certified also.I see no exeptions or exemptions to this law,unlike other professions which allow apprenticeship.This means that the immigrant workers,who a majority of speak no English,would have to also pass the exam.The kid down the street trying to make afterschool money,would have to be certified.

After passing the exams,you would then be required to pay $100.00 per year(this per person licensed/certified)
    for each license.(Landscape Designer and Landscape PLanter).

Waiting to hear your comments and suggestions.If you'd rather not comment on the forum,feel free to private message me.
    Thanks

3. 2Sam2233

2Sam2233 LawnSite Member

Hey NickN,

Hey I ran across your post. Funny thing, I submitted a very similar post just last week. I too live in Alabama and have had many of the same experiences as yourself. One thing different I was told is that as long as you have one supervising person on a job that is landscape certified you can have other workers doing the work without certification.

I have contacted the state ag dept and they sent me about 400 pages of miscellaneous and very random information. I haven't really been able to make heads or tails of it.

I plan on talking to some of the other guys in my area to see if they are willing to share info.

If you would like send me and email and we can have further discussion. email lawnworks@mindspring.com

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Oregon has the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board.

The licensed number is required in all advertising. Actually, its enough like a credential, that most landscapers will list it in an ad.

Have you done a search for ads or websites of landscapers in that state to see if any of them post their license numbers, or what agencies they are licensed with?

5. NickN

from Alabama

I'm still going 'round and 'round about the certification.Nobody seems to know.As for listing it in ads,I've only seen one or two landscape contractors advertise that they are certified.
    Had a friend at a local building supply store call one of the larger landscape contractors in the area that he knew.The contractor said he never heard of having to be certified for landscaping.So,I'm still at square one.
    Thanks for the reply guys!
    Nick

6. NickN

from Alabama

I finally got an email from a lady at the state ag department that knows something about this.
    Here is her email regarding certification in Alabama for those interested.
    <i> I received your email regarding landscaping info. Yes, landscapers must be certified in the Setting of Landscape Plants
    category and hold licenses for the Professional Services Permit and the Nursery Dealer Permit. If you will email me your mailing address I'll
    see that this study/exam material gets sent out this week. </i>