Alabama estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s&wlawncare, Sep 26, 2003.

1. s&wlawncare

s&wlawncare LawnSite Member

Just wondering how all of you working in alabama go about giving estimates. I always just really look and guess what i think it will be worth. This sometimes really screws me over. I just want to know how all of you do this? Also do any of you work in the auburn area , b/c i am wondering if there are plentiful opportunities? b/c i will be coming down there to go to school soon.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It helps to know the going rate for the area your in......once you have an idea then you need to know what you need to make to cover your expenses. This all depends on your overhead and how much profit you intend to put in your pocket. You can guess all you want but you might guess low and not only hurt yourself but others in the biz as well.

3. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

hey s&wlawncare, what part of Alabama are you from?..where I am (birmingham) I try to get a minimum of $35/hr... I am part timer but try to be as professional as possible.... with upkeep and making it worth my time and trying to keep the integrity to the professon. I may loose some accounts by not lowballing the compatition but the accounts I do get inthe heat are worth the money I bid for them and expetaly this time of year when your really just cutting the tops off.... hope this helps...

4. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

are yall going to the Expo in louisville KY in Oct?

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Price by the lot size.Measure with a measuring wheel.$65.00 per acre,50 for a
    half acre. Always subject to change(charge more) for alot of trimming.
    Don't underbid.You'll hate yourself like I did. If folks won't pay what your worth,you're better off without them,cause they'll bleed you dry every chance they get.Factor in your drive time,maintanance on equipment,time spent advertising,etc.,, and you don't come away making alot of money.Like others have said here before,I can go broke sitting at home doing nothing versus going broke working your arse off.

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

in montgomery, 60-70 bucks an hour is easy.

KDLawns, no offence, but 35 an hour is less money than you can make working for wally world, unless you work with a 21 murray and a hoe from the trunk of a 63 cadillac, no license, no insurance ! LOL

if you are using commercial equipment, CHARGE for it ...make a living !

my typical suburban property, in a $110,000 -$160,000 price area, 12-15 M foot lot, sidewalk, driveway 3-4 trees and front of house beds to edge/trim , is 45-65 bucks..1 man can do it with a
    21 (!) in an hour ! a 52 lazer and your in / out in 20-25 minutes !

Raise your prices, for your families !

7. s&wlawncare

s&wlawncare LawnSite Member

Hey kdlawn, i am from muscle shoals. I am also charging around $35/hour but i am probably going to raise prices a little. The only problem is that competition is tough here.

8. jasonlong

jasonlong LawnSite Member

Around Phenix City, I can usually get around $45/hr. When I slip into Auburn, my rock bottom price is $55/hr. KD, I would think in Bham, you could get a lot more, unless the area is too saturated with other LCOs.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

with those charging $60 up.....rates vary in every market.

Why choose less income ?

jasonlong is correct at 55 [&up] in aubun-opelika; and Hoover-Vestavia
    is better.

Do quality work and ask for your price. You can get it.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

birmingham is super saturated with lco's in mt. brook next to vestavia, i've "heard" of people getting almost 100 an hour, but that is an area with $450,000 houses