Alamia vs dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Oct 17, 2000.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to my local echo/shindawia dealer today. I took along price sheets I got from alamia.com and showed him what I was interested in buying.(Shndawia eb630 backpack blower and Echo hc1500 hedge clippers.)He looked at the prices from alamia.com and said HE couldn't even buy them that cheap. I want to stay loyal to him. Should I just pay his higher price. I'm afraid if I buy from alamia.com and need service he might not be as receptive as if I would have purchased from him. Price differences are: hc1500 alamia $225.00, dealer $259.00 eb630 alamia $435.00 dealer $499/00. Is this enough to really worry about? As always, thanks for any help.

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

eb630 is $399 on alamia!!! I'm sorry, but money is money. My dealer sells so much stuff I could take it up there and he wouldn't know if he sold it too me or not. I'm buying my small equipment on line from now on. Tell your dealer you so an add in the paper and bought it used. My dealer is good and really helps me out, except for labor and very little on price of small equipment. He is driving around a Lexus. Enough said, I'm going with alamia.

[Edited by Cutter1 on 10-17-2000 at 07:54 PM]

3. TJLC

Cutter, I just looked at alamia again to double check. Eb630 is $435.00 not $ 399.00.I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said. Thanks

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Screw it. Buy from Alamia. MSRP on the 630 is $499...he isn't coming of the price at all. That tells you what he thinks of you. $435 is still a bargain with shipping included, provided you are not in Colorado.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i disagree wholeheartedly

the dealer needs to make money to be in business
    the mail order house can buy in volume and sell for less they do not have as much overhead to run their business

i came from a bike shop background,same exact scenario what we did was put the bikes bought from our store first and the department store bike or "mail order" when we got to it also the bikes purchased from our store got a discounted labor rate we were rewarding the customer so to speak

i will always support my local business as they also support me yes i price shop and look to see what i can get it for but usually buy locally talk to you dealer and explain to him your view, hopefully you have a good relationship with him, and i am sure he will show you his side i do not doubt that he WILL want you as his customer AND can provide service and loaners when you need them

reality is-- if and when any machine breaks down your not making money and lost efficiency so whats 40, 60, even 100 dollars when you go back and he fixes you on the spot or gives you a loaner for free and you finish the day on time

you would not like it if he stops selling to you because you only buy one machine at a time!

the local dealer is not supposed to be the enemy, price shop yes but do it locally or you may have to fix it yourself next time

6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Cost difference on the mentioned hedge clippers: $34 more locally.

Cost difference on the mentioned blower: $64 more locally.

Average life of hedge clippers= 3 years?
    Average life of blower= 3 years?

That is about $11 per year more to purchase the clippers locally, and $21 pre year more for the blower.

Now, what if one of your mowing customers asked you about lets say, fertilizing her lawn. Average fert job=$60x5 apps per year. $300 per year.

What if you quoted her $60, and she came to you with a quote from one of the "big boys" that was a few dollars lower and wanted you to lower your price? If you do, fine. If you don't and she goes with the lower priced guy, fine. Now, if she goes with the lower priced guy, and she has a problem, and asks for your advice, how willing would you be to help her out? After all, you are essentially doing the same thing at the dealer.

I had this same situation. A customer went with one of the "big boys" for fert, because they were cheeper. When she had a problem with weeds and asked for advice, I responded "Most of the lawns I fertilize are relativly weed free, Why don't you ask the "big boy" about your weed problem".

7. TJLC

Thanks for the responses. I have always believed in dealer loyality. I was just comparing prices. My dealer has bailed me out on more than one occ. I will buy from him for this reason. Like someone said what's a little price difference. I understand he is in business, like me. Again, thanks.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

tjlc--I think you are right to buy locally, under these circumstances. now if your dealer was a total pri**, then....

GEO

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I believe in buying locally as well. But, I found that dealers are like any other business or supplier, same as us, if you can not compete, get out of the business.

I know about the old, "give you a labor discount" for buying here routine. You paid HIGH to begin with of course they can give you a slight discount. They also know that the equipment will last say three years before you are spending to fix it, by which time the dealer has raised his labor rates.

He cannot buy it that cheap is BULL! If he couldn't, he wouldn't be selling it. Would you!

I dealt with a dealer for years. Found a mower I wanted about 3 years ago on the manufacture's website. The list price was given for the model. I went to but it from my dealer. He was trying to sell it without the bagger, discharge chute etc..claimed it was all accessories. Showed the printout to him he sold to me at the price he was suppose to. Funny thing was the tag where he cut the bag off the mower unit was all intact!

Have the dealer show you the price he paid.

10. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Ever Herd the song by Alan Jackson, called Little Man. What is $50-$100 to become dependent on a dealer. One day you may go down,if you just bought a new Blower a couple of mounths ago, he is more likley to pull you equipmnt in right now and fix it. If you really never purchase any thing he may try to work you in, but it may be a couple of Days. Now if you are talking $1,000-$2,000 difference, well that a little different for me any ways. Don't foget were all in it togather. We all make each other go round. Before you know it this whole world is going to be ran by huge Corp. By local. is this situation.It could mean the difference between being down for a couple of hours or a couple of days.