Alarm light on controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Squirter, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Can anyone tell me why I am seeing an alarm light illuminated on my controller panel? I have a new irrigation system that was installed in September, '07 and the light was never on during the time/weeks/month(s) I was using the system.

Approximately 2 weeks ago, my contractor came out to the house to blow out the system for winter. Since then, I haven't had a need to open the door to the control panel until yesterday when I had to reset the day/date (power outage). This is when I noticed the red light. Is it normal for the light to come on when the system has been shut down during winterization?

Should I be concerned about anything being wrong such that I need to call the contractor?

Oh yeah....it is a Rainbird controller. I think it is the ESP model....esp100??? Whatever model number it is, I don't think it was terribly expensive as this is a rather simple 7 zone system. If you need specifics, let me know and I'll get the model #. Thank you for your help!!!

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I think the light will come on if there is no start time..... ESP-Modular.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

The light will come on if you have a sensor and it suspends the program, you have a short in wiring/valve or you have a programming error. Depending on how the timer was turned off, it could just be telling you that the timer isnt running.

4. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

First off, my controller is inside the garage so when the contractor came out to winterize, he DID NOT have access to it. Therefore, whatever he did....he did outside. If I recall, I probably had the controller switched to the off position at the time of winterization because we had been getting rain and there was no need to run the system. However, it was all ready to run....all I had to do was turn the switch to automatic and I had start times/days programmed.

Sensor??? Yes, I have a rain sensor. But, once again, I had the controller switched to the off position when he came out to winterize and it hasn't been moved from "off".

Thanks again for your replies. Hope I'm not being a pain in the Ars.

5. irritation

We do it all the time, open the valves manually to do our work. I doubt anything he did caused that light to come on. It's might be the rain sensor which will come on even when the switch is off.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Read your controller manual. Twice.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

unplug that sheet.

8. irritation

Gotta keep that Ni-Cad charged.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

it will live.

10. Clear it and see if it comes back. Is anything showing up in the display? Better to keep it plugged in.