Alarm Light on Rain Bird

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by krue92, Jun 21, 2013.

1. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

I fired up my sprinkler system for the first time this year and all the zones were working fine except one of them. Nothing came on for a certain zone and I checked the control panel and the alarm light was on with Err and the zone number. I then went and manually turned on the zone from the valve box and it turned on, but seemed to have low pressure. Any ideas what this could be? I have a solenoid I could try, but not sure if that is the problem or not. Thanks!

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Ohm the solenoid, it's probably shorted. If so, replace it.

3. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

I will give that a try. What should the Ohms be on it?

4. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

Nevermind....I think I found the answer to my own question. Thanks!

5. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

I replaced the solenoid and it doesn't throw a alarm code anymore, but the water pressure is still really weak. Any ideas on that? Water pressure seems fine on any other zone. Thanks!

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check for leaks. Contrary to popular belief , valves only opening part way are very rare.

7. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

I will check for leaks, but I haven't found any yet. The weird thing is that when I turn on the zone, I don't hear as much water pressure like I do for all the other zones. My water pipes are right by my control box, so when I turn a zone on I can really hear the water kick in. With the Zone with low pressure its like I don't hear as much water pressure as any other zone. I'm really at a loss of what to try next. Thanks for any ideas!

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the bonnet and check the valve seat and diaphragm for damage.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

All this talk about flow control in the other thread .... if the valve has flow control, is the valve open all the way?

10. krue92

krue92 LawnSite Member

Yes I verified the flow control is open all the way. For some reason I feel like maybe all the heads are not popping up, but I can't remember how many this zone had for sure. That doesn't explain the low pressure sound I hear when turning it on though. I'm kinda confused. Never had an issue like this before.