Alarm on a trailer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Dec 22, 2003.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading somewhere the past few nights on the forum about someone that had a alarm on his enclosed trailer, but can't seem to find the post about it. Does anyone know anything about putting some type of an alarm on a enclosed trailer??

2. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

3. 2k1yzfr1

Thanks for the info. I was reading somewhere else where you had one put on your trailer. How well does this alarm work?? I see that the link to the one that you sent me was powered by a marine battery.....how long would that last between charging?? I had 2 echo 260's, a PB603, a bg 65 handheld blower, a brand new never used pair of stihl hedge trimmers, and a 5 gal rubbermaid gas can, to fuel up all their new equipment, stolen back in July. Now I pull everything off the trailer except for the big mowers that are less likely to be lifted over the 2' sides (if someone can, come knock on my door first I wanna watch this.) I would like to buy a enclosed trailer, but want to make it as hard as possible to get any of my equipment. I have a chainlink fence that I back up to every night but I'm just worried about the side door.

4. Shadetree Ltd

The alarm is run off a dedicated battery mounted inside the trailer. It is wired up so that it trickle charges every time it is hooked up to a truck. The exact same charging system used to keep the trailer brake battery charged. It can go at least 3-4 weeks between charges with the alarm on. There is a shock sensor, tilt sensor and door pins on the trailer, plus it flashes all the lights and locks the brakes. The biggest part for me is the pager remote. Since this trailer I bring home with me, I keep the remote on my nightstand so that even though I might not hear the actual alarm, the pager will wake me up. I use this style lock on the side door because they are more resistant to bolt cutters http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/style_search.pl?style_id=A4&sub_style_id=C473 and if you are really serious about the side door look into these locks http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?sub_cat_id=D735&template=style

Scott

5. 2k1yzfr1

Where did you get your alarm at for your trailer?? Did you wire it up yourself?? If so how hard of a job is it? I bought master locks like that after they cut my "regular shanked" master locks back in July.

6. Shadetree Ltd

I had it installed professionally. Any major electronic retailer that does alarm installations or check out any enclosed trailer retailers, they should have a conact or two. It is not cheap, but in comparison to a large theft it is well worth it.

Scott

7. 2k1yzfr1

What would a set-up comparable to yours run in US dollars (ballpark.) How easy are the enclosed trailers to break into with the "cutproof" locks?? The rear of the trailer will be against a chainlink fence so the only worry is the side door and them jacking my truck, trailer, and all equipment.

8. 2k1yzfr1

Or now that I think about it a cheaper possibly as effective way would be to build some type of a bar that would hold the door from the inside. If the door is 36" somehow attach a couple U-shaped hangers on the door and put a 42" piece of lumber or metal in the hangers??? I haven't looked closely at the doors on enclosed trailer, but do you think something like that would work??:confused:

9. Shadetree Ltd

The alarm installed with the second lock on the door is worth $950 CDN. These will make the actual door entry more secure than the walls of any enclosed trailer in reality.

Scott