1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Alarm to notify leaks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dvlscape, Aug 18, 2006.

1. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

Is there any such product in existence that could alarm the homeowner of a potential break / leak in the system. One of our irrigation installs has had a drip valve stick open and another leak on two separarate occasions. That was like a month ago but I would like to give the customer a way to know if something is not working properly. It seems like the alarm could go off when there is water flowing through the main at a time when it shouldnt. Any such thing??
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you could get a flow meter installed, kinda like what they would use on a maxicom system. You woudl just have to "teach" it to alarm when the system is not energized...

A main line leak I woudl think would be very evident, its the lateral leak that could cause you intermitent problems and may or may not show up on a regualr basis, depending on how saturated the ground it...

I had a drip line valve stick and I never noticed it until the cat-tails started growing....
  3. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

If they are on a well, they can install a lite bulb that will come on when the pump is running like I did. Works great!

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Put a mater valve in. That way the only time the main line whould have pressure on it would be when the system is on.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Heck, put two master valves in! You can't be too safe.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how having a master valve will notify having a leak :) It will just make it that much harder to detect.
  7. MarcSmith

the nice thing about a master valve is that if for some reason you have a mainline break it will not run overnight and continue to run until someone finds it.

it will only run for the duration of the secheduled programs. Even then after a couple hours of running if its a significant leak it shoudlbe easy to find.

alot of my clocks have master valves, but i don't use them. I have quick-connects installed and if the master valve is off, then I have no water to my quick-connect.

Hopefully I'll get my maxicom up by the end of the year and I'll be able to see my leaks with out even going in the field...
  8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Can't you access the MV with your remote while you use the QC? About a third of our clients have flow sensing equipment installed.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Went out on a call this week where the site guy reported that the kindergarten play area was being "overwatered" and the controller needed to be cut back. Get out there and the area is a swamp with water noticeably coming out of the ground. Turned the BF off and started digging. Ten feet later we still hadn't found the point of leak around a tree that has large cavities amongst its root system. Backhoe going in on Monday to find it.
  10. MarcSmith

I do have the remote, but with 20 gardeners all doing differnet things I can't always be there to turn on the MV with the remote, adn I really don't want to entrust the safety of my remote(heck they lose their pruners often enough) with my guys, or teach them how to open a MV and have them remember to shut it off when they are done. If I do that, then they'll be opneing valves to zones adn hosing down the students.....