Alaska 5-1-1 fish fertilizer "bargain"

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Marcos, May 4, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

When doing the rounds yesterday at the garden centers in town, I spent a few moments rummaging through the "closeout and discontinued" corner at one of them. Underneath a wood-lattice bench I saw a couple of sun-bleached cardboard boxes that said " gardening" on the side so I opened one of them up. Inside each were (almost) 12 quart bottles of Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1, marked at $1.00 per bottle :) ( the "original price" on the older tags was $7.99 ea ).

It appeared to be in VERY GOOD condition. (And when I got home with it later...this was confirmed.)

I bargained the woman "down" even more, for buying all she had left.
    I bought both cases...22 quarts altogether, for $20.

Anyone on here ever use this product on any large scale?
    It doesn't even show anything on the label for turf; but everything ELSE ? Yes.
    The range of mix rate on the label is between 1 to 4 tbs/gallon, per various increments of soil, depending upon the type of plants.
  2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

I've used the liquid on the veg garden. It doesn't smell very good at all and to be honest I've never noticed any particular benefit from it. They have a powdered product as well and I think I recall that it has a turf app rate on the label. Its an insane amount. I've used other fish powders that smelled less, mixed better, and cost less.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Fish emulsion is great, if you can stand the smell. We used it before, seen some good results. The stuff we use now is a little stinky, so we add molasses to it to help the stink. it works!!! dont know why though. At that price you cant go wrong.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You add mole asses, huh ?
    Don't the little guys get mad at ya' when you throw them in ?!?

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, we have never ask, we will next time.