Alberta Spruce/Pine/Blue

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by joeycats, Feb 24, 2005.

1. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

What is the best type of tree to provide visual and auditory screenage from a highway. I live in orange county new york. thanks guys! :blob3:

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The best tree for that could be Norway Spruce, Douglass Fir, Blue Spruce, or Leyland Cypress. I wouldn't go w/ White pine or Hemlocks as they can get gangly over time w/o pruning.

Chris

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Norway spruce also seem to withstand road salt better than some others.

4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I find that using a snow shovel rather than a pitch fork works better for mulch. You might want to try it some time.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

6. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

I concur. I particularly like the Blue Spruce as a color break.

7. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

For me it would either be the Leyland Cypress or the Emerald Arborvitae. They both look the same to the untrained eye, but the Leyland will get larger (taller).

Jason

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Emerald Arborvitae look like a mouth with missing teeth......also, they are very weak in the roots. Then, when they are all in a row, all of their roots are connected, So when one breaks/falls, many are going to die.

There are many other ones that would be much better. they are the poor man's disney world, so to speak.

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

with the firs you will have to watch you elevation as well.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Also, if deer are a problem in your area...I would make the assumption in orange county, new york they are...placing arborvitae out is like ringing a dinner bell.

You can try multiple types of trees as well. For instance alternate something like a colorado blue spruce with a norway spruce. The blue/green color combo looks nice the the eyes...of course this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.