alcohol in gasoline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, May 5, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I had to replace the gas cap for the second time in 2 months on my Husqvarna bp. The solid gasket (except for the air hole) inside the cap will break except for a thin ring around the outer edge, therefore causing fuel to leak out from the cap when full or tilted. This has happened twice. I thought maybe I was putting the cap on too tight (maybe I am). The dealer told me this was happening because I had alcohol in my fuel. He said "non-premium " stations was the problem. The alcohol somehow is causing the gasket to do this.:confused: Huh? Anyway, Im gonna switch to a "premium"gas station and see if it happens again. Or maybe this guy is nuts,lol. We'll see.

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have used alcohol in tanks for water problems and never had any problems with gaskets. He might be just that, nuts.

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What is a premium gas station?

4. I had a problem years ago with gasahol in an Echo line trimmer.
    The alcohol in the gas softened the fuel line and turned it gummy.
    At that time some of the Japanese rubber components were not tolerant of the alcohol.
    I couldn't imagine anything today not being compatable with gasahol.
    But then I don't see much gasahol these days either.
    In Ohio they have to put a sticker on the gas pump telling you the % of alcohol in the gas. Plus you can smell the alcohol when you drive into the station.

I've never seen a Husqvarna fuel cap. It is a plastic part inside the cap that turns brittle and breaks?

Dave

5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

If the gas you are buying has alcohol in it , the pump must be labled as such. Thats the law. So if you are buying gas and the pump doesnt say alcohol on it then this guy is crazy.
    We always use alcohol in gas to remove any water, or condensation that gets in the tank.
    This is a practice I used in the car business. Doesnt hurt a thing.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This doesn't sound right to me either. I would contact Husqvarna customer service to verify what you are being told. Please let us know the outcome.

Gravely_Man

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

That is what I asked him. He said"Shell, Texaco.Exxon" Lol. I really dont see where the brand of gas would be the problem, all the tanker trucks get it out of the same facility. I have been getting gasoline at Fina for at least 2 or 3 years, now. If there is alcohol in the gasoline, how would that effect my truck (F-150)? I will be researching this issue, and posting the outcome.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as for what gasahol or "ethanol" will hurt, FORD says it will hurt my F-150's engine and void the warranty.

that is enough reason for me to not use it.

perhaps chevy is an alrternative?

NAAAAH!

GEO

9. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

All gas in Chicagoland has @ 10% ethanol to meet standards