Alergies? This ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I woke up last night (after being asleep for 2 hours), and my eyes felt like someone had threw sand in them. They hurt so bad that all I could do to make them better was rub them and that just made them worse. If I tried to open them they would water so badly that I had to shut them.
    I really felt like I needed to go to the emergency room but I didn't want to bother my wife and child just to sit in an emergency room for a few hours. I took a shower and some pain meds which allowed me to get to sleep after about 4 hours of pure hell.

I had this happen one other time about 2 months ago and I figured it was something I got from my daughters daycare. I went to the doctor today and they told me it was allergies. I have never been allergic to anything at all. They gave me a prescription for eye drops and told me to use them every day for the next month and we should be out of the allergy season.

My question is has anyone else had this problem? What kind of light weight breathable glasses can I wear to help keep dust and allergen's away from my eyes? Keep in mind I cant even wear a hat because it makes me extra hot.

Jimbo

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep. i wear contacts so it's that much worse with al of the dust and pollen. i take a benadryl before i leave the house for work. helps some.

3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

My eyes have always been sensitive, but they are especially bad this year. I think the idea of taking an antihistamine before you go out is a good idea. If it bothers you again, I have found that Bausch and Lomb makes an eye wash that contains boric acid, and it gives me very quick relief.

4. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I have not experienced that but my eyes will start to itch after a full day. I can't take antihistamine because it knocks me out. Some times I do take benadryl before I go to bed. It seems to help but I am very grumpy for the next 24 hours. I get by by taking decongestants, keeps me breathing anyway.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, didn't have allergies until my late 30's. I use Flonase everyday. Much better now.

Mike

6. Jimbo

You 3 are driving me crazy since you all have the same avitar.

7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting to wonder what's going on myself. Yesterday after mowing my throat started getting pissed off at me. Now, my sinuses are joining in the fight.

I don't know anybody who's been sick and the only thing I can think is that it's allergies. Like poison Ivy, I've never had allergies before. Last year, I got poison Ivy for the first time. I'm 27 and falling apart!

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

My allergies seem to get better every year but then again it is probably the same and I just don't care any more. I find that Flonase and drops help be out a lot.

Gravely_Man

9. Jimbo

I was reading that antihistimenes (not spelled right) such as Benedryl do not work properly for what I have been diagnosed with. If you have had watering, itchy, eyes check out patanol.com

This is what i was prescribed and is supposed to work great.

FYI- I read that it does not get in through your eyes instead you breath it in.

Jimbo

10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Sorry to hear about the allergies. I've taken Zyrtec and don't have any kinds of allergy problems anymore. Before, when I could, I used "Naphcon A" allergy drops. They are great if only your eyes are being bothered by allergies. I'm lucky my sister works at Alcon. She could get me those $10 bottles for $2. Good luck with your fight.