Algae Problem

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jrdean62, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

I bought a new house earlier this spring and it has a small pond with a waterfall and all. The only problem I had all summer was that I had to change the water once a week do to algae growth and the water turning green. I know how to do landscaping but am lost when it comes to this. Any ideas on how to solve the problem before I tear it out and plant and tree instead?

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

My recomendation would be to add a bio-falls and skimmer unit. Do you have a picture to judge the size of what you need? How deep is it? Does it have a gravel bottom or is it exposed black plastic? Let us know some of these and I am sure we can help you out.

3. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Even changing the water is actually a problem. It takes a couple of months to give beneficial bacteria a chance to establish. You probably do need a better skimmer and biofalls setup. If you have a local pond shop they would be able to point you in the right direction as far as appropriate treatments you could add to the pond to control the algae bloom. Then next time you fill the pond too, you need to add beneficial bacteria and some other items the shop should help you out with.

Don't give up on your pond yet. Once you get it resolved you will enjoy it.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

An established pond with decent filtration and as much oxygenating as possible, it is the aerobic bacteria that keep a pond clean, typically does not have algae blooms (well not often).
    By constantly changing the water, the pond has to start completely over again, especially if the water is chlorinated. New ponds have "new pond syndrome" in which there are algae blooms while all of the algae and bacteria get established in there little niches. The most opportunistic get there first (green algae) but over time they can not keep up the "bloom" because they run out of food. There often is alot of phosphorous in city water and it feeds the bad guys (green algae)

Filtration and oxygenation is always the culprit to a balanced (clear) pond.

5. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Do you have fish? If so you don't want to do a complete water change out. I'd go UV lights if its floating algae and a good biofilter. Tell me about your filter and set up. How many gallons, fish? Full sun light?