Algae

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Grandview, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have a pond that is about 130 X 170. I have about 300 hybrid bluegills in it. I is lined. This year I have a huge filamentous algae problem. Any ideas to control it? Would Koi eat it? I would rather not use copper sulfate, but might if nothing else works.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

How deep is your pond? If it's not too deep (I think 6 feet is about the limit for lotus), you could put some lotus in there. In about a year's time, you wouldn't have to worry about algae any more. They're heavy feeders (on nitrates). They'll take up all the plant food (nitrates) your algae is feeding on. The end result is no algae.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The pond is 18 to 10 feet deep. The sides are steep. Very little area for plants. I have a few potted ones and there are a few cattails.

4. ThorVentures

ThorVentures LawnSite Member

Time for a fishing tournament. Reduce the population to control the excreted wastes feeding the algae. You could also invest in the blue dye that tints the water dark. Sort of turning off the sunlight.

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend adding aeration to your pond Grandview. So that I won't have to give another long-winded dissertation on the benefits of increasing the dissolved oxygen content in your pond water, I'm including this link. Click on the link and it will tell you the merits of aerating your pond.

http://www.clean-flo.com/lake-aeration.html

6. peacefulfalls

peacefulfalls LawnSite Member

Go to pondguy.com and get the clear pac. The stuff works great.

7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

If you are patient enough to analyze first and act second, you may save a good deal of time and expense here. See if you can discern where the nutrients are entering the pond that are causing the algae blooms to accelerate. Often it is runoff from rich/fertilized soils, commercial fish feeds or perhaps an enriched source of well water as seen in some heavy agriculture areas. Your scenario is the usual eventual fate of synthetic lined ponds since they tend to trap nutrients.

To make a recommendation, more needs to be known about the current oxygen concentration of your water and nutrient loads in the pond and make-up water. Volume of water supply is also important to know.

If you irrigate from the pond, take the water off the bottom where nutrient levels are usually highest. Eliminating the source is most often going to be the efficient long-term solution. These things are not always so intuitive; filamentous algaes often do well in very well aerated ponds. There may be a pond and lake consultant in your area to help you.