Aligned myself with a High End Landscaper Q?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viking Aeration, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Good Sat Morn to everyone;

Chris From Canada, Viking Landscape Lighting, Just thought I'd post a recent development and a Q or 2 for you all (if you wish) to comment on...

I just spoke with my neighbour (as we're fairly new to our new town) and as it tuns out he owns his own "High End" Landscaping company, that's what he does. His clientel are all very $$$$ pers! I told him I was getting into Landscape lighting, and asked if he'd seen a lot of it in his experience. Well as I thought, he said, no! not really, he has a irrigation guy he refers his clients to, and said that he'd give all of his landscaping jobs my card and I will be his "go to guy" for the Lighting end of things.....what to think of that?

Q#1 - Do you suppose this might be a good way to "gain lodgment" into this industry?

He said that he's never really seen any if at all, ( professional lighting that is) out there! He's put in a few LED things for people but that's bout it...

He mentioned that a lot of his jobs the pers are spending $10 - $30 + K
    So he said for them to drop a additional $2-3-4K would be nothing...

Anyway, as you can guess I'm a bit excited. So let me know what you think..

Second I had the Vista rep for this part of Canda come by and speak with me, he was a very nice fella, and I will enlist his assistance during the first lighting job (my house) ... And perhaps any jobs that might come my way...

Q#2 - "If by chance" I do get a call to come and do a initial consoultation, any tricks of the trade that I should keep in mind? I do not have a portfolio yet, and no demo kit....but was going to go armed w/ the Vista cataloge, and my professional demeanour.....Dressed nicely, with my really nice cards...

Q #3 - Deck lighting and Patio lighting....are these difficult to do? I see a ton of Decks and Patios, so my card is going to say Custom Landscape, Deck and Patio lighting....

Canadian Prices - Average base price for a well light $102 Price for others, Flood, Spot etc.. about $60 - $80, Transformers anywhere from $201 - $400 + So was thinking of charging around $169 - $179 per fixture plus Transformer and parts...would this be about fair?
    So a 6 Light Front job = about $1515
    10 Light Job = $2241

Am I sorta on the ball?

Anyway thans everyone....any advice or commnts would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
    C

Again thanks very much all...

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like you have your thinking in line. Getting in with good landscapers can prove to be very valuable to your business. We work with 5-6 different landscapers pretty consistantly and it's one of the main reasons we've developed a fairly successful lighting business.

To answer your questions....for us personally, we bid most of the jobs through landscapers off of the prints. Most of the customers around here want a bottom line price with everything included (landscaping, and lighting). If you have a catalog to show the homeowner, then you should be set. I'd recommend taking a couple of lights with you to meet the homeowner though so you can emphisize the quality of lighting you will be installing.

Deck lighting and patio lighting isn't too hard. A lot of it depends on how elaborate it is though. We've done a lot of deck lighting, and we recently signed a job that has 53 deck lights....so that will be a little difficult.

Sounds like you have done your research and I'm sure you will be well on your way to a successful lighting biz.

3. Viking Aeration

I sued to install Massage chairs for a company called First Class Seats outta Racine WI, you near there?

Again tks, for your input, yeah, I'm just tryin to do this right!

cheers
    :canadaflag:

4. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about 45 minutes southwest of Racine.

5. Viking Aeration

Hi exitlights!

Sorry, I mean I USED to! LOL!!!:canadaflag:

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We use subs for all our lighting, irrigation, tree, and excavation. We like to specialize in our direct field. The best piece of advise I can give is to cut him in! I don't care how much he makes, a 10% kicker on secured sales is the biggest motivator for more sales. You can raise your bid accordingly, as that the 10% is now part of your "costs of doing business" and you'll never miss it. But he will remember it even if he doesn't need it.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would certainly kick him back something. You will find that you will probably be on the job at the same time and he will see how easy lighting is and will soon wonder why he is sending the easy money to you.

I am still amazed that in other parts of the country/world that separate companies are doing hardscaping-irrigation-landscaping-lighting-and maintenance. Around here if its custom residential one company will take it from design through to maintenance and not let the client ever meet another contractor. At my last partnership we even built gazebos, pergolas etc and misting systems. I think eventually it will evolve to that in most places.

Moral of the story keep Landscaper guy happy and out of your pocket.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I kick 10% on refferals for the most part. Just got reffered on a landscape job for our company but that was only 5%. They were not expecting the kick so you can bet it will leave a sweet taste in thier mouth and I will be one of the first people they reffer to in the future

I am offering 10% to all area landscapers for lighting refferals.