1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

alittle help on bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Apr 17, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a landscaping job i need to turn a bid in on.
    18 yards mulch at $31 $558
    weed paper 15 rolls $225
    of 3' by 150'
    more or less shaping
    on shrubs and trees(40)
    about 2 hours worth
    re shaping beds 1 hour

i just bidded it at $95 a yard of mulch and came up with $1710, 3 man crew, how does my bid sound??

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds pretty good to me. Shoot it at them and see if they bite!
  3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Gosh I wish I could bid mulch @ 95/yd! Your bid is probably fine but around here I would be lucky to get 75% of that on a mulch job!

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

no i bidded it at $95 a yard and am including all the labor and price of the weed paper.
  5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Hard one to guess one. How are you going to apply the mulch? By hand you can do like 3 yards an hour with 3 ppl. Or some number like that.

3 ppl times 6 man hours=18
    18 man hours times 35 per man hour=630

That is with no other man hours than just for bark. Perhaps a little low, but very close to what i would have bid. Good job and good luck on getting it. Let us know how it goes.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I think you may be bidding to low. When I bid I take the cost of mulch and multiply it by three. That new price includes cleaning the beds of debris, edging, weeding and installation. If your mulching price includes trimming the shrubs that is OK, it is up to you. I charge extra for trimming of the shrubs and/or trees depending on how long I think it will take me.

Take into account (or put more value on) the cost of materials and payment to laborers. This sounds like a full (10 hour) day of work. If you are paying both of them $10/hr, that is $200 for the day to them, $558 for mulch, $225 for weed paper. That is about $983 you are paying out. Are you are accounting for fuel costs or equipment use for hauling the mulch, insurance, unforeseen expenses, etc.?

You may be turning a "profit" of $700 after the job is complete provided it goes as planned. That is not bad, but I personally think you should consider adding to the bid no less than your cost of the weed paper rather than absorb that into your price. In my opinion you should make about two or three times as much as you spend in these types of jobs (which is what you are doing with the mulch). If you want to absorb the weed paper installation I think that would be OK since the time it should take to do that is not very significant.

Let me kow what you think.