1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All Front Mower Owners/Operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrwinter74, Jun 13, 2004.

1. jrwinter74

jrwinter74 LawnSite Member

Anyone out there use a front mower? I am considering buying one next season depending on the feedback and advise of other users(not my dealer). I currently own a JD 737 ZTrak 54" and it does great but I have recently hired my first employee (to trim right now) and don't really trust him to use a Z. I figured with a conventional steering wheel he will do fine though. What positives and negatives does anyone have on the front mower? I have looked at the JD F725 specifically. Thanks! JW
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

You're gonna blow nine grand to hire a new employee? I just looked at the Deere site and that's what it runs.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a hydro walk-behind and a sulky or velke? They're available in 54" decks (Deere has one if you're a Deere loyalist) and one helluva lot cheaper (and more compact on your trailer) than $9,000.
  3. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I occasionally help out another LCO friend that has a 935 JD 72" front deck mower and with my Gravely 260z I can cover more area its faster and turns better and doesnt tear up the ground as much. IT has its place in certin mowing conditions but for everyday lawn work I dont like it. I have used it on a number of occaisions and the Z is just as easy to learn if not easier. Hope this helps.
  4. jrwinter74

jrwinter74 LawnSite Member

The closest dealer in rural Mississippi is JD. The F725 here runs $7,300 inc. tax. I am definately going to need another mower next season but the accounts I have are very open and long(don't think a walk behind would be a good investment here,...although I did look at them and a ride-on Deere too). My biggest account is 14 acres of lawn,...yes I said lawn, takes me only 15 minutes to trim , edge and blow off the debris,.., the rest is riding. Trailer space will not be a problem either,..just bought a new 6' X 16' tandem axle last Sat. anticipating next season. Thanks for the info. JW
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

look into grasshopper and steiner out front mowers both do a great job.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Walker 52SD double blades, great cut and a tough mother of a deck. She ain't a lightening bolt but it cuts lots of grass for me.

june3 127.jpg
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you would be better off with another Z. They are not that hard to learn and the performance will be much better.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, like dirt said -- check out grasshopper front mount. Great cut, easy flip-up deck for space savings on trailer.

Not that hard to learn. A little practice with touchy G2 tranny and your good to go. 52, 61, 72" deck options.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have an outfront deere. I don't like the cut at all. As for being easier to learn, no way. It's harder to keep a straight line and takes up way to much trailer space. My wife can mow a complete soccer field and I will only be halfway across mine.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

When I worked at the golf course (I still live at home, which is on a golfcourse) We had an out front mower. It was a complete waste of money. It was slow and had a hard time getting around stuff. I told them they should have gotten a 928D grasshopper with a 72" deck. Grass hoppers would be your best bet. Fast and powerful but pricey.