All honesty - what is the best tractor out there?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by meets1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

No offense to anyone without owning these brands but I am looking at NH, BC, JD, Kubota. All in the mid 30 hp range, maybe low 40. Needing for tilling, grading, seeding, snow removal, etc. Cab is a must.

I realize loaded question but be honest why you think your brand is overall the best.
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly I think new holland are often overlooked. John Deere and Kubota are often the most popular. That whole things boils down to a Ford verus Chevrolet debate.

I am a fan of Deere. I looked at NH a couple years ago. I'd look at something that has the quick attach like the bobcats and other skid loaders use. It might require plumbing a hydraulic line to the front to meet flow requirements you take an already productive piece of equipment and make it more so.

The final thing I'd consider is dealership. Often it seems the decision on brand boils down to dealer service.
  3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much exactly what Lindblom said. It's like going into the truck forum and asking whats best Ford, GM or Dodge. Every one is going to answer different and more than likely they are going to side with which ever one they own and their father owned. One guy will point out every reason why one has a better engine and another will show as many reasons why theirs has the better engine. Depending on where you are dealer support may be a big factor.
  4. meets1

I have NH right now - 2 of them. Each bought new and they are decent tractors. Now though with a few years on them and hours, things are really startiing to show. there is always something with them. And as much tracing I can do and even with a kubota dealership help, Nh is pretty exclusive when it comes to parts.

I know kubota guys love them and never walk from them. I swear deere guys are that way cuzz its green. BC tractors, I really dont know about. So I am in the market but would like the fan favorite if possible!
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using a Case IH JX55 around the ranch. It is bigger than what you're looking for. It is a decent enough tractor. I am a John Deere fan through and through.

A Kubota might fit the bill for what you are after. How many hours do you have a NH?
  6. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

very simple answer to this question - the best tractor out there is the one you own, at that particular time..... :)
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

13 years of kubota here, 2 B models & a grand L 40 series. Year round commercial work, everything from brush cutting to snow blowing. Never once had a machine die on a job, or experienced any catastrophic failure what so ever! I follow kubotas pm schedule and use oem filters and totella 15 /40.
  8. meets1

hours - three machines - 800 to 3000 hours. I like the look and design of NH but think the kubota may be the best fit thus far.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

For the most part all the big manufactures build good tractors! I myself have been @ it for 34 years, i had many good years with international & am now (13 years) a kubota guy! I cant sleep if im worried if my machine will start. Kubota has given me years of well rested nights! They are not cheap, but what is peace of mind worth to you?
  10. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

that's like asking, "what's the best woman out there?"

You will find many good ones, many bad ones, but you need to settle on what's best for you. And remember, at the end of the day, none are perfect, or even close.

Any of the big brands you can't go wrong. You need to decide on what you need. HP, ease of operation, etc...

For light tilling, grading, snow, etc... you can probably use a hydrostatic tractor. Easy to drive. Smoother shuttle system.

If you need heavy tilling and pushing then probably shouldn't go hydrostatic. The hydrostatic seems to rob a bit of power.

Deere you will pay the most, but it will hold resale too.

The most important thing is dealer support. If you are using this for your business, Deere will probably get parts the quickest. You should also look into the Cat challenger series, not sure if they still have smaller brands. Cat usually can gaurentee 24 hour parts, as can Deere on some machines. NH, Case don't always have this.

If you're not worried about that, then all of the big 4 are decent tractors. The case JX series are alright, and a good basic tractor. Good size frame for pushing snow. The Deere utilitarian version of the mid size tractor is probably too basic for your needs.

In the size you're looking for you can go compact or mid size. Sub compact will have more features for the same price as a bare bones mid size. However, the mid size will have a large frame and be more stable for loader work (round bales) and snow pushing.

Hope this helps, kind of a ramble. If you give more specifics I can give more info.

End of the day, go with the dealer that is offering best support and most bang for your buck.

Stay away from Chinese tractors. I use to import them and wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.