1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All I can figure is...it must be saturated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Hello agian fellas & ladies,

I have done everything in my power to get more accounts...

Door knob hangers 3000....passed them out.......

Add in the local newspaper...............

Referal letters to my few customers......

& everything to no Avail..........

I mean there is a little here & there...but not what i
    would expect....with the hours I have put in on Advertising?

Beleive me I am doing everything...cause I want this thing to
    happen.... I heard it gets worst before it gets better.....
    I hope this is the worst part.......

My severance pay can only last so long.....next the Wife will be on me lol..Not really she is behind me 100%. She does not say a word...as long as the bills r being paid lol.....

Any Positive words will help ..also any Negative words...as long as it's the TRUTH.....

Thanks Peeps...:angry:
  2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Sound to me like a little rain and you will be covered up.
    Just wait, you will be wishing for a day off!!!
  3. Nelson

That's Positive....Thanks KDJ....We do need some rain...
    It's really dry here....Seems like when it rains... grass seems to grow 2' lol.....:D
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Be patient, there will be good years and bad. It sounds like you've covered all the bases.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You have tried everything that I would have done. Maybe a different paper or a nearby paper and area?

It takes one company to fail and 10-50+ customers hit the phones for some help. Hang in there.
  6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep nothing much else to do but wait,sounds like you've done all the advertising you can,I find the harder I try to get jobs the less happens,when you least expect it they turn up and often several all come at once.I always liken biz to fishing ,as long as your hooks in the water you will get something,but sometimes you just gotta wait awhile till the fish run.It will happen..Cheers
  7. Nelson

I like that Scenerio BigJim :cool:
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Are you licensed to apply pesticides? Maybe you can do sub to work for others, market pest control, do tree ferts, and so on....if you are not then this slow period would be a good time to start. :D

Considered a website? Best advertising $$ you can spend.
  9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I was layed off in Nov. and decided to make this a go also (been wanting to for years, just didn't have the courage to step out). I started planning and had all my stuff except the mower by the first of this month. I placed a 3 line ad in my local newspaper and the phone didn't ring at all until maybe 10 days after, then it wouldn't stop. Trouble is, a major employer called and I went to work on the 8th. My ad was prepaid and my phone is still ringing but I've been turning business away. If I'd waited 2 days, I'd have a new Bob-Cat with grass stains all over it. I had $396 a week unemployment coming in through Aug.'02 but the job offers me some unique opportunities for next year. I'm sticking to the job for this year because it will give me (44 yr old) a chance to get my knee fixed. It's also a service job (pest control) so I'll have a database of people who buy services. I hope you can stick it out. Maybe you can get some kind of job to supplement your income until the biz comes in?
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do u do other things besides cut grass? add extra services, trimming, fert, planting etc. a month ago i was saying this was gonna be a crappy year, now im struggling to keep up, and have new calls every single day too.