All I know to do is ask!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Turf Professionals Inc., Jun 15, 2007.

1. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I do not mean to be unprofessional in any way, but I am really interested in learning how to install irrigation systems. I would never ask one of my local competitors to teach me how to install these systems because, well lets face it, it would not be in their best interest to teach some one to compete against them. Therefore, traveling somewhere to learn is probably my best option. I would really like to be able to offer this service next season. Is there anyone in Florida willing to teach this young grasshopper the way of irrigation? I am offering a strong back and free labor in exchange. And.....maybe some lunch :). I am willing to travel. If this is a totally ridiculous, please forgive me. All I know is I want to learn from someone that is competant and professional, but the only way I know to get someone to teach me is just by jumping out there and asking. Thanks for all your help. I am in the Starke area (just North of Gainesville)

2. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

It may be an odd request but in my opinion at least you are making an effort to learn how to install a system instead of just throwing one in the ground like most people would do.
    Now the question is if you find someone to teach you will they be someone who is doing things the right way by local code or someone who just throws a system in the ground and then vanishes. Unless you are doing track homes all installs are a little different. How much do you think you will learn doing one house?

3. Turf Professionals Inc.

I definately understand what you mean about them not doing the installation to code. Trust me, that has been on my mind. I will just have to use my best judgement about the person/company. It is real easy to tell if they are professional or not. As far as how much I expect to learn, I have read books on how to install irrigation systems. I really just want some hands on experience so that I feel confident if/when I install it on someone's property. I want to know that I did a good job and that I did it Right! That is the only way I am doing anything. Thanks for your thoughts.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

hmmm, I didn't read into his original post a desire to come by the knowledge rapidly and in one fell swoop. He mentions next season and it isn't mid summer yet. Free labor is hard to pass up. Might there not be a small FLA company on here who could schedule him in to a couple or three installs over a period of time. I am assuming he would like to do a few days at a time so his current buisness doesn't go w/o his supervision for a long stretch.

5. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

Thinking about it you may also want to check your area for pulling permits. To get licensed you normally have to have 3 years under a licensed irrigation contractor and then pass the exam.
    It would suck to go through the trouble of learning how to do this and then not be able to permit the jobs because you can't get your contractors license.

6. Turf Professionals Inc.

I appreciate all the feed back. I will make some calls today and find out what the prerequisites are to get my liscence for irrigation. I know that I would like to offer it next season, but if I have to work under a liscenced contractor I will just have to do that. That brings up another question though. I am not willing to run my business on the side just so I can go to work for the next 3 years for an irrigation contractor. I willing to do what it takes to learn how to do it, except practically shutting my business down. How would you guys go about working under a liscenced contractor for 3 years and run your own business at the same time?

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Drink lots of coffee!:laugh:

8. Mike Leary

Well it sounded funny when I posted it! I guess the bottom line would be
    are you ready to re-locate? Contractors are not keen on teaching the trade
    when they know it's temp. I left town for more learning, it was scarry, but
    I knew I had to get on with it. You're in the same boat, is it your home town?
    From this site...there's some smart cookies down there..with everyone in
    the industry looking at Florida, Arizona, S. California & Nevada for what will
    happen to our trade with less water available...there is no bigger challenge
    than to join our industry. It pays well, after fifty years!:laugh:

9. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

The only other thing you can do is hire someone with their contractors license. Believe it or not there seems to be plenty of guys out there that have their comp card but don't want to be in business for themselves.
    Then your insurance would cover their license. After 3 years you could test.

Don't most of us already do that?

10. Mike Leary