all in or bust- the gamble of buisness. ( a mindless rant)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flam41, Jan 17, 2006.

1. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Does anyone else feel it is all or nothing?
    I see people fiddle polk around about going all in to the buisness, but they seem to be wating for some magic event to happen. I am not talking part timers, just folks who want to have a nice pro all around service. & I realise it does take time to establish a name, & build.
    I dont know what exactly I am tring to say. It's january & we are busy evry day, but I am stir crazy about the summer. Excited I guess.
    Last year we added an aerator & are the only aeration service in town, tripled our yards, began accepting credit cards, & began offering full fert & weed controll. I am two years ahead of where I wanted to be in my " five year plan".
    We just ordered the hydroseeder with an already positive reception to it.
    I spend $$$ like mad to upgrade buisness in the true belief it will ( the buisness) take care of it's self. I can easily pay my bills, but would like to make huge payments this summer to reduce debt. as of today I owe about $22,000. it is alot, but seems manageable.
    I guess what I'm asking here is:
    1 does this seem like a large debt compared to your shoes?
    2 Does anyone else get equipment to provide a new service not only for you, but your area? & how did it go?
    3 with all these jumbled thoughts , excitement, stress, & hope know what I mean?
    Thank you for visiting my little thread, I tend to make my decisions with alot of heart & I know I am doing this all the best way FOR ME & MY BUISNESS. To some it might seem off the cuff & maybe a tad irrisponsable.
    ok im done~

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For the first 3 years I fiddled farted around and just used the money as extra chump changed. I decided to either get out or go all in. I half assed tried to sell of the equipment, but didn't find any takers. I decided to go all in at that point. Started spending money on advertising and making plans. Plan on leaving a well paying job of 14 years this spring.

3. YGWBill

YGWBill LawnSite Member

i get new equipment every year this year jcb excavator need to do more than just do mowing . 22 is not a lot of money for equipment

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It sure can be....depending on his income.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, how much you owe to how much you make does make a huge difference. It is all relative. 20k - 30k sounds like a reasonable amount to start a small biz. I would think that this would be almost an average. Obviously, some will be higher and some will be lower. As long as what you owe on is making you money that it what matters. If you spend 3k on equip that sits in the shop then 3k is a lot of money. If you spend 50k on equip that is working in the field 4-6 days a week and turning profit then 50k is not a lot of money to owe.