All lawns have to be double cut sometimes.Your mower doesn't matter!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jul 27, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to clarify something to the less experienced guys? Regardless what mower you have even if it has a 200hp motor doublecutting is sometimes necessary. People are getting crazy about how much horsepower they want. The focus should be on research and design not making a 50hp motor fit on a ZTR. When the lawn is lush, high and wet; double and triple cutting or bagging is necessary for a clean cut. Guys with the Super Z's that mention an RPM drop when they slam the control arms forward; your on a mower not in Nascar think smooth and controlled.
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

That is some sound advice.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

For the last 10 to 15 years Mfg. have add horse power and turn tip speed up but still stay with 80 year old ideas other wise.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, Quality not Quantity.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't remember double cutting much but in the spring when the growth is very heavy the clipping need to be hit again. Especially on heavily fertilized lawns. No one here wants it mowed over once a week but it could use it in the spring. You heard of "drive by shooting" I get drive by lawns, lawns the other LCO's drive by and don't want to fool with. But I'm just part time getting what I can in a market where everyone and his brother is pulling a crapsman or a couple of large ztr's and no trimmer. And of couse theres the ones that stop mowing as soon as they get enough for beer money. My competition is very diverse.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Double cutting is standard in my business and I agree, unless you plan on lowering your cut to 2.5 inches and switching to VUS (very ultra sharp lol) blades and swapping them out every 15-20 minutes, I find it is easiest to swallow this one whole and just accept that double cuts are standard, sooner or later you gotta, so might as well.

If this tolerance is not possible, I suggest either raising prices some or acquiring enough customers that you simply don't have the time.
  7. tacoma200

What kind of homes are we talking about? ARe we talking upscale neighborhoods that have to be perfect. My area is hardly upscale and about half my accounts are 10 or more days (to save money of course). The cut from the Lazer is very smooth even after two weeks in summer 27hp/60". The clipping can be a problem but not the cut, mostly fescue lawns and whatever is blown in from surrounding fields (weeds). I rarely ever double cut. I'm sure your sitiuation is different. This picture is a 10 or so day yard.. You can see the weed tops on the right. Cut at 3.25"
  8. tacoma200

This is the front of the same 10 (estimate) day yard. No double cut
  9. tacoma200

This is the old garden of an abandoned farm hose that I mow a couple of times a month. Yes the clippings had to be went over on this one but the cut was fine.
  10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

HUMM! double cutting twice the work + more fuel + more time=less $$$$$