1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All Lco's Look Here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rross, Nov 20, 2002.

1. rross

rross LawnSite Member

I need advice on what to tell a good friend. He asked me earlier today what was the best way to start in this lawncare business. He has a Husqvarna mower 61"(same as mine, we bought them together) and he bought a 6x12 open trailer 2 weedeaters a blower and he pulls it all with his blazer.

When he asked me, I thought for a minute and told him what I thought. Now he is really serious about this, he wants to have a "meeting" with me tomorrow night and I need real help from you guys this time. What do you think is his best options, the guy has money, atleast enough left over to buy a couple thing I think. What do I tell him guys? I'm only 20 I't not suppose to be giving advice to a person that is like four years older then me. Thanks guys, pretend its your friend, what would you say?
  2. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

Refer your friend to Lawnsite.
    Suggest he ask for advice here.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

BUT...... Make sure to show him how to use the search feature.
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I agree with the other guys. That is the best advice you can give him.
  5. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

If he is asking you for advice he must think that you know something. If you are sucessful explain to him how you have gotten there. Give him advice on areas that you made mistakes on. Be honest with him about the stuff that you have done. Also direct him here. I personally have learned a huge ammount of stuff and I have only been here for a month. I can only imagine what else I am going to learn in the coming season.

My .02 worth.
  6. Superiorlandscaping

Superiorlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Ma

Hey maclawn company, why dont you stop wasting valuable post space and stop critizing people. Why dont you do a search and see who likes. I am relatively new here and i have gotten several emails from people who say they dont post because they dislike you. I have read Everysingle post in the last two years to get caught up, and you have no good things or relavent information. Stop being such a prick man and loosen up. Some people start these posts to gain information directly pertinent to their situation. They dont need general info from 13 years ago. I am sure you have been in the business for quite along time, but you should go take a computer etiquitte class. It seems that all you have to say is why dont you use the search why dont you use the search, if you dont want to post a response that is helpful then dont post at all. My fault i am in a bad mood. Have a good one. Dont take it personal. -tim:blob3:
  7. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

Amen there Tim!
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi usually steps in here so I don't want to step on anyones toes. For the record, I don't dislike anyone here. There are some things I dislike that some people say or do but I overlook it. It troubles me personally when members attack each other on this site. Maybe this is THE one I should have overlooked but it bothered me to see this on the first post I looked at this morning. Like the bartender always says, "Take it outside".
  9. Superiorlandscaping

Superiorlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I am going to apologize. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything. It was definately just constructive critisism. This forum rules and the last thing i want to do is offend people. I am definately already regretting my post and I know there were better ways to go about getting my point across. My point still stands about "why bother to post if its just do a search." Because imagine this. This forum would become a ghosttown if no one posted only searched. Things change over time, individual situations are unique, and a simple readin the topic, then deciding whether or not to even open it is pretty simple. For instance, software help. There have been a million posts on software so i know i know just to skip over them. No one forces you to read them. Woops went off on a tangent, but my apology still stands. Everyone have a wonderful day. -tim
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, definately refer him here. ;)

Local extension offices are also very helpful. He'll probably have some specific questions..
    You've already helped by showing him you're willing to help, and not just snob him off!

Everyone should be able to help each other....even if they're the competition ..to an extent anyway. ;)

I've noticed the truly successful LCOs who know whats going on aren't concerned much at all with what anyone else is doing in their areas.