All My Pg's Are Gone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Ranger, Jan 30, 2007.

1. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

What a great feeling to get rid of my last 2 Magnums and all my misc PG parts. Man I can't tell you how glad I am. I would never recommend those units to anyone. Everyone that doesn't have one and wants to know why.....
    just take my word for it. I have owned 11 or 12 of them and it is a long story why I would never own another, but to make it short. There is way too many breakdowns, too much general maintenance, and too many slide adjustments trying to get your rate right. It got to the point, it seemed like we were working or making adjustments on one of them everyday. We own 6 Z-sprays and they are like a cadillac compared to the PG volkswagon. Just my 10 cents worth. If you own one and it works for you that is great. I hope your good luck continues.
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same experience with PG's and sold my last one 2 years ago. I upgraded to Z-sprays and love them but I here some good stuff about the newest PG model. I might give the PG another look for smaller properties but IMO you can not beat the Z.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I agree the Z spray is a great machine, I own one PG but we limit its use to only larger scale properties therefore not alot of hours being logged on the unit. So so far it has held up okay.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to sell PG's. I don't miss them. One out of three were defective right out of the shipping crate *after* the bugs were worked out of the Magnum. It's too bad since the execution is pretty close to being where it needs to be.
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see the point made by Ranger.

Being a single owner/operator, I only have 1 PG to deal with. Given the fact that I am the only person using the machine, it is much easier to keep it running properly. Because of that, my overall perspective on the PG is very positive.

Now if I had a few machines operated by employees in the field, it certainly would be a concern. Face it, employees running routes are generally not as careful with the equipment as you are.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i love my pgs they rock
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

It would be helpful to everyone if more of the comments were current. And by that I mean related to the Magnum. Everyone remembers bad experiences longer than good ones and it seems that whenever the topic is the PG, the first 20 posts are the people who once had a bad experience. I agree to a point - they did had their share of problems in the earlier models. But each model has gotten better and the Magnum is now a very reliable machine. So to those folks - please give it a rest!

There simply isn't that much that can go wrong on the Magnum now - there's no electric parts, only one belt and it's got a Honda engine. We serviced 25 million square feet last year with one PG and basically only had to clean the machine and change the oil. If we get 2 or 3 years out of it, I'm thrilled and would gladly buy another. It costs about $12 a day if it lasts 3 years. And yes, I'm sure the Zspray experience is the same. It's a great unit too.
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had one of the eariler PG's too and was disapoined in it, but when the Magnum came out it looked like they had it right. I have over 400 hrs on mine and other than a couple of minor problems with the pump and spinner gear its been great. with any piece of equiptment of this type you are going to have a few mechanical problems. but with the Magnum's simple design its easy to work on and maintain. too bad they didnt have the Magnum back in 98!
  9. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Good point sclawndr. As I mentioned in my post I have heard good things about the Magnum and in spite of my bad experiences with previous PG models am considering adding one on. I still prejudice towards the Z-Spray because they got it right before it went to market, not 6-8 years later.