All opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Jul 17, 2004.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We are about to start a job in a new subdivision that involves some landscaping banks, grading and finishing in a retention pond as well a several miles of ditch that needs to be finished well enough for seed.

The ditches are up to grade in most spots and have been done for a while now. There are some tuffs of quack grass and weeds growing . The surface needs to be worked. this is the part I would like opinions on.

Most of the ditches are fairly steep. I wouldnt want to use our tractor.

I don't want to share my thoughts On what I have in mind until there are some responses.

We have a wide range of equipment at our disposal including a quad, bobcats, harrows, disc etc.

If we dont have it I'll rent it.

2. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

define ditch.......................

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

How long are the ditch banks? Could you use a combination of an excavator with a harrow chained to the bucket? Then hydroseed?

Got any pics?

Dan

4. kris

from nowhere

Dan ...if I rember Monday Ill take some pics .... these are drainage ditches (they all drain into these retention ponds)... swales with say 4-5 ft banks that run through the whole subdivision....slope percentage...umm not sure...somewhere around 20%.

Like I say they are all ready pretty much up to grade ...the soil is just a little packed because of the length of time they have been sitting. I am kind of hoping that just the quad with a set of sharp harrows (weighted down) may do it.

edit.. dan you asked where Im from in another post.... Alberta

5. D Felix

4-5 foot banks are not too much for a mini-ex to handle if you chain a harrow onto the bucket. I'm not sure if you could simply extend and retract the bucket up and down the hill and move laterally as needed, or if it may be easier to drive the mini-ex along the top of the ditch bank, using the boom and bucket to keep the harrow where needed.

How are they planning to mow the banks once the grass is established?

Dan

6. kris

from nowhere

Dan - I can get a full sized machine up and down most spots no problem.... Im looking for fast though.

What we started to do was using the bobcat bucket teeth we went horizontal up and down roughing up a 6 ft section per time but to me it seems awful slow ..... then we still have to harrow it. Im hoping the quad can take care of the harrowing .... not sure... perhaps there is no fast way to go about this.

Is there an attachment I could do it all in one step?

The mowing.... will only be our problem for one cut But Im pretty sure our walkbehinds could do it.

7. D Felix

If you can get the skid up and down it without any problem, then get either a soil conditioner (basically a Harley rake) or a landscape rake from your local Bobcat dealer. The landscape rake will remove any rocks that are present within 2" of the surface and bigger than 1 inch, IIRC.

I know they make pulverizer attachments for skids too, you might consider one of those.....

Without seeing the property, I wonder if a tracked unit might be better than a wheeled machine.

Continuing the fingertip thinking out loud, I've been able to get a pretty decent rough grade with a mini-ex on a hill side before, that may be faster than a toothed bucket on a skidsteer, especially if you have a wider (30-36") bucket on it...... Certainly less stressful for the operator, I'm sure.....

Dan

8. kris

from nowhere

Ya Thanks... Ive never tried those attachments.. Been at this for a while too. May be a good time to try out a new toy. Ill look into it Monday.

9. D Felix

Let us know what you figure out... I may need to do the same some day!

Dan

10. kris

from nowhere

Gonna demo the landscape rake bobcat has on thurs if it drys up.