All Perma Green owners...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Forever Green Lawn, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is anyone who uses or has used a Perma Green in the past: Cavalier, Ride-On, Centri, Ultra and Magnum. What things would you change? Larger engine, different tires, different layout, larger tank or hopper etc... Any features you would bring back from older machines? Electric start from the Ultra? The Brinley hopper from the Centri? Brakes on the handle bar (pre Ultra), pump swith that locks on? 2 high speed nozzles or the current 1 nozzle set up? Possibly 2 size machines... one for smaller jobs (like the Cavalier) and maybe something larger than the Magnum (200+ hopper and a 15 gal tank)
    Myself, I like the 12 gal tank on the Magnum. I would possibly go with a larger Honda engine w/ electric start, maybe a 9 hp. I also like the foot brake. I do think the handle bar needs some adjusting to aid in turning. I would also go back to the 2 nozzle set up. The Magnum trans was a step in the right direction. I did like the pump switch that locked on. As for size... maybe 2 machines. We run 2 old Cavaliers for tight and hilly areas so it's nice to have a machine that's light and easy to turn, but for large areas the Ultra or Magnum is much better, but maybe something with more capacity would be ever better, just like the 3 size Z-spray models Tom Rich builds.
    Just something to think about for those who love or hate their Perma-Green machine.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the Magnum (huge improvement from the Ultra) I think the capacities are OK, but the hopper mechanism needs some work. It doesn't stay open. It tends to vibrate shut so we have to bungee it. Pretty poor IMO.

Chris

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Chris. I'm so used to holding the hopper open that I don't realize I'm doing it anymore!
    Also, the thing turns like a tank when you have a full hopper and liquid in the tanks. I guess it's a trade-off from the instability of the old centri's...

4. Forever Green Lawn

I've heard a lot of people saying the Magnum is more difficult to turn than the previous models. Maybe the handle bar needs to be moved slightly to increase the turning leverage. On my Ultra and Centri models we run 20 psi in the front tires instead of 13-15 psi Perma-Green suggests and it made turning easier. It also has not caused any tired problems with the increased pressure. Maybe it will work on the Magnum?? As for the hopper controls, I think the Ultra had the best set-up. The Centri sticks on occasion due to the hopper cable and gunk in the slide plate. Sounds like the Magnum will need to be changed. How do you guys like the Magnum on hills and slopes?
    Scott

5. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Electric start. Fix the poor design in the hopper opening mechanics. Protect the transmission with some type of sealant. Protect the wiring against corrosion. Change all metal to stainless steel. Include bushings in all pulleys. Dump the lesco spreader and move to something that spreads evenly, not at a 10/2 or 11/5 pattern. Change the plastic third hole shutoff to something more stout. Improve the overall quality of the machine so it will hold up to everyday commercial use. .......is that enough or do you want more.

6. Forever Green Lawn

I agree that electric start is nice... Z-Sprays have it! As for the trans... I have rebuilt sever where the case was ruined by corrosion. all the internals we ok, just the case we cracked. The plastic bag that they use makes it worse IMO. The trans corrodes worse where is bolts to the frame. On all new trans that I install, they get sealed with undercoating or truck bed liner. We'll see what holds up best.
    The electric they used on the last year of Ultra(the weather pack connections) seem to hold up well. I also don't care too much for the Lesco hopper... I liked the Brinley better(Centri model). Ranger, what hopper would you like on the machine? I like the 220# that is on the Z-Spray Max. Also, what machine are you using?
    Scott

7. The Ranger

from NE Ohio

we have both z spray & PG. We have stopped trans corrosion with a bed liner product. We hate the lesco spreader. Like to see a Scotts spreader on the PG.

8. Forever Green Lawn

Glad to hear the bed liner worked on the trans. I have 2 to rebuild and I'll use in on the new cases. A Scott's hopper...that's a thought. Maybe they will change with the next model. With the Magnum in it's second year, it will probably be changed in '07 or '08. Only time will tell...

9. The Ranger

from NE Ohio

A problem that I see @ PG is they don't employ an engineer. I believe a lot of design problems could have been avoided if they had a staff engineer. Products go out in the field and the LCO are left to find what the problems are, and believe me we have found a bunch.

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Would that work on a one year old trans? Or would that just trap the corrosion under it?