All Right Fellas, Need Some Help Here.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by pasto_guy, May 18, 2008.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

I've never owned a tractor, and only operated one for a few hours. Our company is in need of a tractor. I've been reading and reading and to be honest it is really confusing. I hope that you guys can chime in and help me out.
    Our basic needs are loading mulch into our dump trucks, turning the compost piles, bush hogging several properties. These are the main things. Secondary things that would be very helpful would be loading and unloading pallets of rock salt(2500lbs), using a attached snowblower for a couple of properties, trenching irrigation lines, and filling them back in. I'm sure that we will find many other uses day in and day out but these are a few. What do you guys think? (Horse power, brand (I like everything I hear and see about Kubota) attachments and prices I could expect to pay.) Thanks in advance for all of your input.

2. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

I'm surprised the masses haven't chimed in on this one. Kubota is a good brand for sure. Are there any dealers close to you? Have you been working with a dealer already? I would start there and see what their advice would be and get yourself some options, then let us chime in and help you sort those out. If you are going to be loading trucks then loader height will be something you want to look at closely. While looking at the height look at the capacity for the salt pallets. If you look at most larger (32hp-35hp) and up you should be able to interchange your attachments on the loader, bucket, forks, augers etc. So there are some places to start. Remember when shopping for a dealer that a little more $ up front should lead to better service and parts availabilty in the future, ask specifically about service after the sale.

3. pasto_guy

from VA

Thanks for the reply. I have two dealers but one is 35 miles and the other is 45 miles. Not too bad. I'm going to go to both on Wednesday and talk to them. Is there anything else that I should ask or take notice of when I go. Service after the sale is real important b/c I don't want to have to wait for extended periods of time if something is broken. My mower dealer always takes care of us in a day or two or less, if he can't fix or doesn't have the part he'll give us a loaner until he does. I do have a John Deere Dealer only 5 miles from my house but some have said that they aren't what they used to be. I don't know if that's true but just what I've heard. Thanks again. If some others would like to chime in then I'm all ears, and I'll update you on Wed. night.

4. pasto_guy

from VA

been doing some research and leaning towards the l3400, any one got any input?

5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have many, many hours on Kubota and Deere. We have a 4320 Deere at work and I love it. The Kubota was a piece. I think for the tractor and the loader, the price was about 26,000? That was 3-4 years ago, though.

6. pasto_guy

from VA

I just found this tractor advertised. Kubota L48 Tractor/loader/backhoe. Only 626 hours! - $6000 Is it too good to be true?

7. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

It is awful good! be careful. The l3400 is a good value. It is considered a "standard tractor" HST trans is available but it is not the HST+ that is in the Grand L 40 series machines. It doesn't have armrests on the seat or a rubber floormat. The other thing it is missing - extendable lower links on the 3pt arms. There are some other small things but overall it is a good value for the buck. And it has a nice compact size yet big tires for a good ride and nice manuverability. Take a good look at it! Any questions throw 'em on here you'll get opinions and maybe an answer or 3!

8. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'd be a heck of alot happier with a skid loader for all the tasks you've listed. Using a loader on a tractor for moving matterials is slow and tedious work once you've done the same task in a skid steer.

9. runnin14

runnin14 LawnSite Member

Ditto the last post...most companies prefer the little skid steers to run around and move pallets and load/dump "anything"...the little kub would get old (in my opinion) as it might not have enough weight in its pants to do the job...and the skid steer will run circles around a tractor doing that type of work....you can always pick up a good little used tractor and bushhog to do your other chores...