1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All Screwed Up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 8, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Went out on a valve "leak" today where there was constant water. No wonder! Both the inlet and outlet SCH 80 nipples were cross-threaded. (Don't ask me why the original contractor didn't use a TOE nipple on the outlet side into the 2-1/2" lateral.) :dizzy:

Veva Blunt Zone C-5 Cross-threading IV-01.jpg
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think someone stole the valve.
  3. PurpHaze

I stole it and trashed it. Love it when I throw away an $85 valve. :laugh:
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What's softer, Valve plastic, or SCH 80?

I've had good luck fixing some screwed up fittings by threading a brass piece in and out.

At least that is a super easy repair.
  5. PurpHaze

I'm not really sure which is softer but I'd bet maybe the valve. Problem is that the valve is the female end and can crack if you're sloppy at your work by putting too much Teflon tape on the SCH 80 nipple or cranking the nipple in extremely tight. I was sloppy once and experienced a crack in a valve. With the sizes and pressures I work with I really don't want to take the chance that there's already a hairline crack in the valve or that the threads don't get reamed thoroughly so it's a little more prudent to just trash the valve. Of course I gut it for any parts I want to save for future repairs.

The Irritrol Century Plus valves are a combination angle/straight valve and have a plug that is tightened into the inlet you don't use. It has an O-ring and you just tighten it hand tight and then another quarter turn. Never had one of these plugs leak and I've often thought it would be great if a SCH 80 nipple could be set up this way. However, I just know that the junction of the threads and the nipple (with a backing area for the O-ring) might even be weaker than a male adapter and might not hold up to the tractor/vehicular traffic many of our valves are subjected to. Sure is convenient with the plug though.

We always use our valves in the angle configuration. This offers less pressure loss and puts the plug at the back of the valve where it's accessible instead of underneath. We have actually used the back inlet as emergency POCs for a QCV or hose bibb that can be adapted for construction or other uses (like water for pressure washers) in a particular area where there is no other easily accessible water.