1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

All Solorain valves ???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by reb12, Feb 8, 2007.

1. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

I don't do much digging, especially in a root infested yard. My client has an old hydralic system and wants to upgrade to electric valves. He only has 4 zones and the present valves are located way out in various parts of his yard. I was thinking, what about just installing new valves and controlling each with a solorain? Any comments? This would save him money in labor and a timer, although the solorains are not cheap. I wold get him on a service contract and do checks monthly to catch any battery problems.

Rick

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Which SoloRain model are you going to install? The 8014 model is quite tall. An alternative would be to install a Hunter SVC instead.

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a toro hydraulic and why does he want to switch to electric? Are the tubes cut or leaking? I have a better option but I need more details. If you decide on the battery operated route definitely follow Haze advice. I convert alot of hydaulic to electric but I use two way or three way solenoids.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hydraulic valves can be the most trouble-free of all. You can still buy new Toro hydraulic valves. You can also obtain electric-to-hydraulic converters to connect a new electric controller to an old hydraulic system. In an area with frequent lightning strikes, a hydraulic system is worth maintaining.

5. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I would use the hunter before the solo-rains. We have had way too much trouble with the solo-rains that we do maintencance on. What kind of problems is the hydraulic system giving? I have done some retrofits to the hydro-electric convertor panels made by toro and they have worked well.

6. Remote Pigtails

I'll swing by and take a picture of one of my retrofits but what I do is put the converters in a 10"box outside the wall below grade and then run wire from there into the garage.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be real interested in seeing some pictures of a hydro-electric conversion. It's always fascinated me but most hydraulically controlled systems in this area were gone a long time ago.

8. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

Remote Pigtails,

Would love to see the pics. It will help me a lot. Also, I havre a service contract on a condo is SW FL with 2 timers, 25 zones total. The timers are in a cement enclosure and I would like to hook up my remote. I would need a pigtail (2) with about 15 feet length to get them outside. Can you do this and what would it cost?? Thanks, Rick

9. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I will get some of mine as well. One of the golf-courses here locally that we do work on has 65+- controllers with that setup. Allthough not what I would consider ideal, it does work. JW

10. Remote Pigtails

I'm open to other suggestions on this but I think the most cost effective way would be to purchase a multi strand wire that is equal to the number of zones plus the common and a 24 volt power source. (I'm going to assume you are using a TRC or Rainmaster and need a 37 pin connector) Then hook my pigtail to that in a junction box. If you get a big enough junction box you can curl the pigtail up to keep out of sight. I have also hooked it up to the wires before they enter the building and with the use of an external transformer could activate the remote. I will check on the cost of special ordering two with 15 feet of wire. Since you said 25 zones / two timers I'm figuring one 24 station and one 12 station.